1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ranking of students of interleaved tiers for combined science - help!

Discussion in 'Science' started by KingKong, May 6, 2020.

1. KingKong

KingKong New commenter

Hi

Having read through the guidance, we are supposed to provide a single rank order for tiered subjects i.e. we should combine foundation and higher tier combined science students at grades, 4-4. 5-4 and 5-5 and put them in a single rank order.

My question is how do we compare/rank a student who has achieved a 5-5 by sitting a higher tier paper, compared to a student who achieved a 5-5 by sitting the foundation tier? I am not sure how to align the grades in a meaningful way in order to then rank them.

How have other HoDs gone about this?

Thanks in advance

2. ajed88

ajed88 New commenter

I'm sure your school has a set of guidance on how to go about this process to allow consistency between subject areas so won't go into the full detail of how we're doing it...

Firstly surely those on the higher tier are not on foundation tier as you have deemed it possible to get 6-5+ so would naturally be towards the top? I can't think of a strong argument to enter Higher tiers to get a 4-4. With that said, I used the rank within each grade as how confident me and the teachers of those students are, based on the data we have, about them achieving that grade. It could be that you are more confident in a student getting a 5-5 on foundation than another on higher, so would be ranked higher. Remember...this is not a perfect system so you will not get a perfect outcome. The ones you rank highest have a possibility to be pushed up, and the similar to those you rank at the bottom. That is out of our hands.