1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Random Name Generator

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by EmmaLVB, Jan 5, 2011.

1. EmmaLVB

EmmaLVB New commenter

A few years back I found a website that had a powerpoint set up and it would play your pupils names at random and generate one of them for you to select as the person to answer the question, do the job whatever. However as you had to take up the whole IWB to play the generator I didn't find it as useful as I had hoped and gave up on it. I think I lost it when my laptop died aswell. However, yesterday during an INSET we were discussing effective questioning. I like the idea of randomly selecting a pupil and find it difficult to do this myself. One of the people conducting the INSET showed the lollypop stick idea which I think is good and have done something similar myself before but I find material things such as these are of little use to me as names get lost/moved etc. where I am not the only teacher to use my classroom.
    Another teacher said that they had an electrical one. I explained about my grievances with the one I had but she insured me that this one was a small one that stayed on the top of all windows and you could move it to whatever position you wanted. I asked for her to share it with me but it seems that theirs has expired. I am hoping that they will get a new version or find a way around it but in the meantime wanted to know if anyone knew of anything similar. I have had a little search through the forums and found the Brendenisteaching one and the fruit machine one but they are not quite what I was looking for.
    Hopefully someone has some nifty thing. I did find a new stay on top timer today (I used to have one before but I lost it when my computer died) if anyone is interested in that?

2. EmmaLVB

EmmaLVB New commenter

A few years back I found a website that had a powerpoint set up and it would play your pupils names at random and generate one of them for you to select as the person to answer the question, do the job whatever. However as you had to take up the whole IWB to play the generator I didn't find it as useful as I had hoped and gave up on it. I think I lost it when my laptop died aswell. However, yesterday during an INSET we were discussing effective questioning. I like the idea of randomly selecting a pupil and find it difficult to do this myself. One of the people conducting the INSET showed the lollypop stick idea which I think is good and have done something similar myself before but I find material things such as these are of little use to me as names get lost/moved etc. where I am not the only teacher to use my classroom.
    Another teacher said that they had an electrical one. I explained about my grievances with the one I had but she insured me that this one was a small one that stayed on the top of all windows and you could move it to whatever position you wanted. I asked for her to share it with me but it seems that theirs has expired. I am hoping that they will get a new version or find a way around it but in the meantime wanted to know if anyone knew of anything similar. I have had a little search through the forums and found the Brendenisteaching one and the fruit machine one but they are not quite what I was looking for.
    Hopefully someone has some nifty thing. I did find a new stay on top timer today (I used to have one before but I lost it when my computer died) if anyone is interested in that?

3. Type in Harmony hollow the hat into Google. The hat will randomly select names.

4. Whoops, I posted the above before reading your second last paragraph. Why is "Shuffle and pick one at a time" not what you're looking for?

5. How about this?
    Decide on an agreed sequence of seat-places around the room (eg clockwise).
    You write (in secret) the name of a pupil who will be a certain number (eg John is 6)
    One of the pupils picks a number from 1 - 30
    You count round the sequence from John = 6 to the number chosen.
    For speed, John can always be the "marker" and you simply write a different number for him each time.
    The kids cannot pick on one person because they don't know where you are counting from and they can see that you are not choosing because you don't know what number they will pick
    I usually ask the question first before selecting the victim so that everyone has to have something prepared.
    It sounds more complicated to explain than it is to do!!

6. JonStokes

JonStokes New commenter

I have a powerpoint one which cycles through the names and you press s to random select one. I can give you that or i can teach you how to do it, its fairly easy.
    In fact ill tell you now:
    1) Put all your kids names in powerpoint...one name per slide
    2) go to slideshow...set up show..and check the box next to 'loop continuously until Esc'
    3) go to slide show...slide transition..uncheck 'on mouse click..and check the box next to automatically after
    4) chance the automatically after to 00:00..then click ' apply to all slides'
    5) run slide show and it should cycle through all the names quickly...press 's' to stop on a name

Hope this is any good

7. classtools.net
    Have a random name generator that doesn't have to be used full screen and can be toggled around as necessary.
    My students love it!!

8. I just uploaded mine. Check out my resources

9. I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of these in a lot of cases. What if the name that comes up is the shy, struggling student who is petrified of saying things in front of others and would be put off the lesson if 'picked on'? I prefer good old fashioned targeted questioning from the professional at the front of the classroom. At least then we have the opportunity to target our questions at students of varying abilities. I do, however, use the presentations with very confident groups.