1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Random interview question

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lunar546, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Lunar546

Lunar546 Occasional commenter

So today, in formal interview, I was asked, if I were stranded on a desert island, what 3 items I would I want with me.

What has this got to do with my suitability as a teacher? Am I missing something?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

;)

I hoped you said a copy of the Burgundy Book as your reading!

Daft Interview Questions

Absolutely nothing at all. It's daft to ask questions that deliberately stress candidates.

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

OK silly question but you get a lot of them in interviews.
    What did you answer?
    A few yeas ago it was the "if you were an animal what animal would that be and why?"
    My answer was a ladybird - the reason lies in their mating habits which is how they spend their time when not eating aphids- no I did not get the job!
    Probably the rationale was about can this person think on their feet and can they identify what they consider priorities- probably some dozy HR person or overpaid consultant came up with it!

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Never underestimate (a) governors who feel they have to come up with a question and/or (b) an inexperienced head who doesn't understand which questions are useful and which are pointless.

I cannot abide stupid, pointless questions.

5. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

When someone asks you a question like this, you should lok at them, expressionless, for just long enough for them to detect your disdain, then politely say you would like to withdraw from the process.

6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Or equally, give them your three (random and preferably disturbing) items. And then politely withdraw your interest.

You could say "an empty cotton reel, three jelly babies and a fountain pen". Then look down as if considering, then say "I'm sorry. I'd like to withdraw my application at this point"

Other random items could include a Bible, a packet of pipecleaners, a bottle of Chanel Nº5, a Panini sticker of Diego Maradona, pair of tweezers,.... the possibilities are endless.

Those of you who are in the process of applying now, you should be thinking of your bizarre items now in case this question is in vogue with witless SMTs.

Middlemarch, alla_ova and GLsghost like this.
  7. Lunar546

Lunar546 Occasional commenter

My 3 items were obviously below par - I didn't get the job!!

sparkleghirl likes this.
  8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Sounds like a very lucky escape!

9. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

My wife applied to join the Civil Service executive grade, when she was at University. She passed the exam and was called for an initial interview. One of the questions she was asked was 'how would you stop inflation?'. She never heard anything more, so she assumed she hadn't got in.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Depends what sort of job she was going for - First Lord of the Treasury?

Made me laugh, thank you @Jolly_Roger1 !

Best wishes

11. splinters

splinters Established commenter

I see they have moved on from the biscuit question then...

12. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

That's interesting, given that zero inflation is not a good thing to have. Ooh, perhaps that was the required answer...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You would be Head of the Civil Service by now, @Middlemarch !

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. tackles

tackles Occasional commenter

"If I was an animal? I am an animal, unlike the prokaryote that came up with that question."

Are interviewers really so stupid that they can't even see the idiocy of their own questions?

15. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

16. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

or Mad Margaret

Lunar546 likes this.