1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Random acts of kindness

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dunteachin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I'm going to be kind to the next person I see: a greeting, a smile, a compliment...

Oi, MrDt, not you!

cuteinpuce likes this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You can't count smiling as RAOKs!!

You've got to do better than that.

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

How very generous you are, Dun!

4. Dunteachin

Scrap smiling, then.
    Although, smiling IS an act of kindness for me!

kibosh and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

I don't find it easy (smiling) but I still don't think it counts.

I like a local car park where you always give your ticket to someone as you leave so they can have the unused time. And then you get their time on another occasion.

Or letting someone go ahead of you in the queue.

Not smiling. Sorry.

6. Dunteachin

Ha! An old boy was trying to give me his car park ticket the other day and clipped my car as he was reversing out! He was about to be admitted for a triple heart-bypass, so I let him off.
    There's kind.

grumpydogwoman and kibosh like this.
  7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

That IS kind Dun!

grumpydogwoman and kibosh like this.
  8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

;) I'll need to try that line if I ever smash into someone's car.

grumpydogwoman and lindenlea like this.
  9. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

That would be an illegal act of kindness, wouldn't it? Those tickets are generally non-transferable.

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

That's a good one.

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Is it illegal or just some silly rule they try on? I bet that if challenged in a court, it could be shown that someone who paid to rent a parking space is entitled to use it for parking any vehicle of their choice for the period that was paid for. In fact, if you had paid for a parking space, the council should not be allowed to let it to anyone else until your entitle usage of it has expired.

Consider this scenario:

You pay for two hours parking. You see something in a shop that you like and purchase it, however it is too large or heavy to carry to your car, so you drive your car to the shop for it to be loaded on, then return to the car park with the intention of continuing with your shopping.

However the space you had rented has now been rented by the council to another driver. There are no free spaces in the car park and you are deprived of the opportunity to make use of the space you rented at some extortionate rate.

That situation is far more unfair than allowing another driver to benefit from the remainder of the parking period you paid for. The council isn't being deprived of anything other than an an opportunity for further extortion.

How could they possibly prove that the arrangement between you and the other driver was an agreement to hold the space for you while you went to collect your goods, then return to park your car in the space the other car was in to completed your shopping and have the parking ticket returned to the person who paid for it?

12. grumpydogwoman

Bloke in front of me in Laldi (look, I never know which one is which) started taking stuff off the belt. He'd left his wallet in his car. I told him to leave the stuff where it was and just get his wallet. He darted out and was soon back. No probs.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

14. cuteinpuce

When that challenge is made successfully in court then I'll accept your point. In the meantime, you use the tickets on the understanding that they're non-transferable.

15. Duke of York

I and many others don't use the tickets on any other understanding than that we paid for a parking space for a period of time.

There is nothing in the rules that will prevent you or I standing next to the ticket machine and in random acts of kindness, buying parking tickets with our own money as each car enters the car park and giving them to the driver. If there was, it would be clearly displayed.

I very much doubt the matter will ever be challenged in court, because the council knows full well it wouldn't have a leg to stand on if it attempted to pursue anyone for transferring the remaining time on a ticket that was properly paid for to another individual.

If they were ever daft enough to try it on in court, what justification would they have to re-let the use of a parking space during the period that had already been allocated to it?

Could you imagine the uproar there would be if you paid for a hotel room and on your return from dinner, found the room had been to given someone else because the desk clerk noticed you had gone out?

monicabilongame likes this.
  16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I use them on the basis that if I can help someone else avoid the councils hatred of motorists and using us as a cash cow then I will. Public transport around here is diabolical, without cars and parking spaces, the town would die.

I am also sticking it to THE MAN big time.

Spiritwalkerness likes this.
  17. cuteinpuce

You're free to use them on whatever basis you choose. The fact remains that parking tickets are generally non-transferable - something usually stated clearly on them - and someone taking advantage of such a transfer is committing an illegal act.

18. Duke of York

For it to be illegal, a law would need to be drawn up with the specific intention of depriving a person who paid for a parking space to use it as he felt fit, within the bounds of the parking space intended use. i.e. for the purpose of parking an unspecified vehicle. Just putting non-transferable on the ticket is insufficient, as the person who bought it may have been unaware of any clauses in the contract until after he'd entered into it by buying the ticket and saying bye-bye to money that in truth didn't ought to be charged.

High street businesses are closing down all over the place because drivers prefer to park for free in out of town shopping centres and the extortionate business rates for high street properties can't be met without the customers for those businesses.

I can't see many councilors getting elected if they tried to enforce this imaginary law on the likes of me and didn't back off when the excrement hit the fan.

19. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I often do that at our local hospital. You pay for 4 hours at a time.

20. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Letting someone who is behind you with only a couple of items go in front of you.

Then smiling and spend the rest of the day thinking that you deserve a sainthood.