1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ran out of Literacy planning for year 6 and ofsted is due :-(

Discussion in 'Primary' started by blackpurse, Jun 4, 2011.

1. As most year 6 teachers know, this time of the year means you've taught all the interesting units and you're left with the lets say less interesting units. I've taught all units except the unit about formal/informal writing which i intend to teach this week.
    However we are due the 'call' and i'm worried about what I will teach in Literacy when they arrive. All other subjects covered apart from Literacy.
    Can anyone help??

2. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Is there something they are lacking in their writing that you could tackle?
    At least then you can clearly show why you are teaching it.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. Exactly my thoughts, however I feel like I've done this over and over as preparation for SATs.
    Discussion texts were an issue, also we didn't look at explanation texts as much as other texts.
    Two genres I could look into.

5. Marlin do you teach year 6?
    You seem to always come to my rescue!
    The poetry, limericks were fantastic. Throughly enjoyed by all children. Thank you

6. Heya,
    Someone was asking a similar question a week or so ago - I and a few oother posted some ideas:

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/490532.aspx?PageIndex=1#6775658

Might be worth checking out!

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Not any more - sort of retired now - but I did for 14 years!

8. A ridiculous question!!! What do you mean you have run out of planning?
    Run out of suitable texts for year 6? There are thousands!
    What would you do if Ofsted was coming in? I dispair - what would you do if Ofsted were not coming in!
    There are no boring units just the way the teachers deliver them!

9. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

This.

You do know you don't have to teach the strategy units. What would you be doing if Ofsted weren't coming in? This does indeed make it look like Y6 teachers do nothing after half term.

10. Milgod I am glad you agree!
    SATS are out the way now is the time to get inspirational - choose a text you know the kids will love and you love and do some fabulous literacy with it!
    It does not matter what it is or what the text is! You have 7 weeks to be amazing! Go and be amazing!

11. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

Whilst I'm surprised that it is possible to run out of English planning, I'd be interested in hearing regencyrob give some detail about his suggestion to 'get inspirational'. M

12. Choose a book or a film you know the children like and have not covered previously. This could be a suggested text from the framework such as: The highwayman, boy in the girls bathroom.
    Or if you have covered these choose something your children may find interesting or challenging maybe a Robert Westall text or one of the Narnia texts, even Shakespeare.
    If you don't think your children will respond well to a new text with enthusiasm because it is the summer then choose a short animation - maybe The Lost Thing by Shaun Tan or Cracking Contraptions with Wallace and Gromit
    Do I need to also give lesson ideas?
    For the highwayman set up a crime scene asking children to work out what has occured looking at excerpts from the text and clues.
    For Narnia compare sections of text with the film. Ask children to act out walking through the wardrobe - writing scripts for a new film adaptation.
    Write a comic based on skakespeare or act it out, create news reports and film them - "here we are at the scene of a major fight between the two fair houses of verona"
    Create cracking contraptions for everyday tasks like Wallace and Gomit do.
    Its late - maybe these are useful if anyone wants more help I will gladly give it!

13. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

Marvellous stuff. Forgive me - I was, to an extent, 'playing devil's advocate'. Personally, I have just finished the 'finding a voice' poetry unit (children's rights focus; some great writing produced) and am about to do a challenging class novel. It is a great time to be teaching Year 6 English! And don't forget about speaking and listening, of course.

14. I did wonder!! You actually annoyed me - but I forgive you!
    I am in year 5 much rather be doing year 6 right now!

15. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

Ah - well, the block of teaching I am most looking forward to next term happens to be with my year five group: The Piano, film narrative unit. Great stuff!

16. Best unit in the whole primary curriculum!
    Bloody Year 6 unit in our schoo!!! apparently swapped (before I arrived) for the jabberwocky!

i love teaching poetry - have you ever taught The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe?

17. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

Yes, but not in KS2 (MIddle Years teacher). Love his stuff!

18. I teach the Raven to Years 5/6 they love it! The arguments about who Lenor is are amazing!
    She was a servant he killed
    His wife who has divorced him
    a servant who loved him and he loved but he couldnt do anything because she was a servant so he sacked her and now he regrets it
    he killed her and she is haunting him
    All answer I have had! I love it! The kids love the challenge too and the recording narrated by Christopher Walken

19. Nothing wrong with Jabberwocky - it is a great poem to use. I have created many a Jabberwocky inspired parody with year six and although at first they really are unsure, it captures their imagination.
    (But I would choose The Piano first [​IMG])
    Kensuke's Kingdom is a great transition unit to use at this time too.

20. Hopefully you've rethought this statement now!