1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ran into students in town..

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sabrinakat, Sep 23, 2018.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

'Meeting a young woman in a night club and taking her back to your flat for a s**g, only to meet her in your form a week later as you are being introduced as the new 6th form tutor at the beginning of term. (That one nearly went to LADO)'

It should have done IMO

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If it was a new teacher and the event happened before he/she started at the school, (and assuming the student was at least 16) - not sure what laws have been broken. At the time there was no professional relationship...

s10327 likes this.
  3. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

You are quite right regarding in Further Education. It has always been the same for me and, in fact, one of my students keeps in touch with me regularly and even comes up for an occasional holiday. Mind you, she is in her 50s now because it was many years ago when she was a student. Don't forget that many students are adults when they come to classes at FE.

s10327 and pepper5 like this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Talking of those we once taught-
    I have always been intrigued at the number of students who I once taught (in a previous school years ago) who ended up on the head shot crim page of the local paper. Life sentences for murder, armed robbery, rape, drug trafficking. Such is life, that felony happens, and those who commit it have passed through school and therefore know their teachers and those teachers still know them years later. Guardian readers staring over their specs at sordid straight mouthed mugshots, remembering a time when those faces were pudgy and shiny formed, their demeanor was exuberant with "Im a kid and you are not".
    I don't berate these students for their wrong doing, or promulgate outrage among my professional peers, although equally I don't want my own offspring to go the same way. But the thing that bugs me is the very students who I still see making the local news are the ones on whom we spent lots of money, gave hours of intervention for, created extra meetings for, drew up parental agreements for, involved Social Services for; disproportionate intervention because of the data dip they dragged around with them.
    Why o why did we not just sit down and be friends to them? We could have spent all that money instead on board pens that actually worked, photocopy machines that salute you in the morning, money for the kids who wanted to learn. And shiny stickers for the ones who achieved. Instead, we had no money or time because it all went on demonstrating that we were helping the non starters in life. Proving we were doing a good job.
    Rather than actually doing a good enough job to keep them off the head shot crim page of the local paper.
    There's one there today. Life imprisonment for breaking and entering and being armed. Fifteen times. I remember this boy sitting in my room one breaktime in detention, picking away sullenly at residual BluTac while I forgave him and hammered away at my marking. He couldn't realise he would never be more protected.

Talking of those we once taught...

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Stocking up the wine rack during a supermarket "25% off for six or more bottles" and being greeted at the checkout with "Hello Mr P..."

Going for a swim on my first day on holiday and meeting a student heading in the opposite direction. And then having her mother buttonholing me for the rest of the week.

Having a student tell me that they saw me at a waterpark in Florida and adding "you picked Mrs P up".

6. Curae

Curae Star commenter

OMG... I need to calm down afte reading this post :oops::)

7. Curae

Curae Star commenter

:eek::eek::eek::)

8. Curae

Curae Star commenter

:eek::eek::eek:;)

9. Curae

Curae Star commenter

I'm getting all flustered ...must log off TES ...well at least for now
    Xx

sabrinakat likes this.
  10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Most bizarre encounter I had was in a restaurant. The waiter was standing behind me and when he spoke I immediately recognised him by his voice and it must have been 15 years since I taught him.

monicabilongame likes this.
  11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Now I am on supply my 'handler' at the agency is one of my former students.

12. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

You’re outside of work, why are you bothered that a student didn’t want to speak to you? I wouldn’t make a fuss of it in school neither, you are a professional, leave it at that. In my years of teaching, I haven’t gone out of my way to speak to a student if/when I see them out and about, if they say hello to me, then I would be polite, but that’s it.

cadillac99 and Happyregardless like this.
  13. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Read through the thread; all fine :)

Curae and Piranha like this.
  14. cadillac99

cadillac99 New commenter

she's your student not your friend. why do you want a 'hello' from a teenager
    you are taking it too personal.
    it is not that serious

border_walker likes this.
  15. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Post #73 suggests that the OP has received all the advice needed, so no need to resurrect this thread!

sabrinakat, Curae and mothorchid like this.
  16. unfoggingblogger

unfoggingblogger Occasional commenter

I agree with you. She was rude.

Tell her.

I would expect my students to show me respect in public...if I greet them, they should greet me!

A standard 'hello' deserves reciprocation. If she grows up to be like this when she is older, it won't do her any favours.

Education does include so called 'soft skills'.

JosieWhitehead and pepper5 like this.
  17. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

Sounds as if it's more about the student than you. Also as it was outside school and therefore strictly speaking not in a professional setting it seems to be more about a lack of maturity (from her). Perhaps the theft situation an added embarrassment factor.

However, knowing how teachers can sometimes find themselves on the receiving end of many spurious claims and accusations by students and their families, even friendly ones, is there someone in your school you could trust and confide your puzzlement at this unexpectedly over reaction if it still worries you?

pepper5 likes this.
  18. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Well, Sabkat has just taken her on that school trip, so we'll await developments. :)

pepper5 likes this.
  19. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Duplicate post

20. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

I think we all have days where we take things personally and after a good night's sleep and a fresh perspective realise we were overreacting.

What I do find peculiar is that you started discussing the girl's behaviour with the checkout assistant? Why?