1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ran into students in town..

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sabrinakat, Sep 23, 2018.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Can you imagine? What if they were buying condoms???

Curae and sabrinakat like this.
  2. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Mountains. Molehills. The student (and Y9 is the peak of this sort of thing) was probably #OMG Mortified they ran into their teaaaacchhhaa in TOWN fam?! Remember many teenagers probably assume teachers lock themselves in the store cupboards out of school hours!

I personally blank students out of school unless they say hello to me, then still blank some of them and when challenged by them in school state we are discouraged from talking to them outside of school.

3. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

'I notice you posted at a very early hour - please tell me you haven't been awake worrying about this all night?'

Seeing the hour of posting myself I wondered whether the OP had bumped into a student in the local nightclub! (something that has happened to me twice in education!)

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I have had all manner of greetings from pupils during my career.
    Colchester was the toughest place. I remember walking quietly down a crowded High Street to hear a student some distance away bellow "Phlogiston, you sexually active onanist" (or words to that effect).
    Most students are pleased to greet me, a few are not. I take it as it comes.

border_walker likes this.
  5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Not always. When British gas sent a couple of guys to fit my smart meter one of them looked at me and said "Did you teach science at ********* school" When I said I did he admitted to being a former student. While his mate fitted the meter he gave all my gas appliances a free service! Result.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have a few former students who were planning a medical career. They were so bright that I pray, shpould I be in need of a doctor in the future that one of them treats me. On the other hand I have had a few less able students considering a career in care homes. Imagine having one of them wiping your bum! Hopefully by that time I will be so gaga I won't remember them:confused:

7. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

No, just am a night owl with knowledge that I could sleep in this morning :)

Curae, mothorchid and Flanks like this.
  8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

On the other hand a former colleague of mine (an excellent & very professional teacher, BTW) came across a former pupil who was now a police officer after a very minor prang. The officer, apparently an unpleasant pupil was still unpleasant & vindictive, and went out of his way to find a few more driving offences to throw at my colleague. :eek:

Just sayin' ;)

pepper5 likes this.
  9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Current students got no more than a little smile and nod - I don't expect them to want to talk to me. Ex students can be more forthcoming, and I have had a few conversations about life after they left school. I can usually guess who would be happy to talk.

A couple of days ago, I was looking at a run I did on Strava (a place where exercise weirdos upload runs etc) and saw I set a new personal record on part of it. I had a look at the best times for that segment, and noticed, right near the top, a former student who I had go on well with and must now be in her early twenties. I did vaguely think about sending her a message via Strava, but this thread has helped convince me that I should leave the past in the past.

10. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Love emoji' request moment :):)!

11. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

At least you'd know the Sex Education had worked!

12. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Yes ...I'm so bl...y old and boring having lived in my area for 50 years I know of and or have taught half the town. .from pharmacists nurses swimming pool attendants gas men BT even the the blooming reporter who recognised me from a function years ago.
    It has its advantages as well as disadvantages. One has to be careful esp when wanting to be naughty .

13. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Never had this problem in FE. (one of the few problems I didn't have:)) I often bumped into my students working part time in shops. They were always pleased to see me and had a quick chat. Occasionally, I have bumped into an ex-student and they are nearly always prospering :). I probably don't frequent the sort of places where the trouble makers hang out. Sometimes students used to request to see me at weekends! I was often invited to charity events and things that they were organizing. I always made an excuse not to attend but thanked them for inviting me.
    However, one of my colleagues bumped into a student working in a shop when the student should have been in college. She said nothing; But the student reported the teacher for harassing her by allegedly following her around out of college hours.:D. It's a funny old world in FE.

pepper5 and JosieWhitehead like this.
  14. Chicken_madras

Chicken_madras Occasional commenter

My class are 4 and 5 years old. Last week one of them looked around the classroom and asked me where my bed was!

15. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

You win some, you lose some. I fell seriously ill with E-coli poisoning several years ago. The sister in charge of my ward was a former pupil and she was delightful (and helped get me healthy again). Once I was well , I had to go for a few intimate examinations. Yes, you've guessed it, 'You used to teach me French', as she slid the camera into my urether..

s10327, pepper5 and Curae like this.
  16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I don't see any problems with being in touch with ex pupils once they have left school if you share a hobby. What is wrong with just saying "hello"?

pepper5 likes this.
  17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

That's been my policy too. Out of school I never spoke to students past or present unless they said hello or approached me. Students are more likely to recognise you as you were an adult when they knew you from school but many past students approach me and I have no idea who they are because when I knew them they were kids and now may be young or middle aged men and women. Their facial features have matured, they are bigger and many are chunkier. I always say to those I don't recognise, 'Hello, you were a young man/woman when I taught you, give me a name.' Once they say who they are then I can usually put a much younger face to them and I'm genuinely interested in what they've done since leaving school. I often ask them if they ever used much of what I taught them at school and I'm always pleased when they say yes.

pepper5 likes this.
  18. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

For some of the students I've taught, buying condoms and using them responsibly would be doing the world a great favour!

sabrinakat and mothorchid like this.
  19. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Saw student this morning and without meaning to, blanked her in the hall. Oh well. :eek:

Curae likes this.
  20. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Embarrassing encounters with students (none of them me, but happened to teachers in my school)

A PE teacher being poured out of a night club and lying in the gutter, being asked by a passing student in the teacher's form "are you alright Miss?"

Meeting a young woman in a night club and taking her back to your flat for a s**g, only to meet her in your form a week later as you are being introduced as the new 6th form tutor at the beginning of term. (That one nearly went to LADO)

Being on a topless beach in a far flung holiday resort, only to hear "Hello Miss" and seeing a year 7 waving at you.

Encounters I have had:

While I was doing my PGCE, being seen by a child at one of my placement schools, in the Sainsbury's where I was doing weekend work to get some money in, and them saying "Miss, I thought you were a teacher."

Catching the gaze of a student across the circle at an equinox celebration at Stonehenge. He was a pagan, and I was there to take part in a pagan naming ceremony of a friend's baby. I think we both suspected the other one had bunked off, and when we met in school neither of us mentioned it.

Nowadays I regularly see ex-students from my last school, serving in coffee shops or cinemas, and if I recognise them I just ask how they're doing the first time, and leave it at that. If I see students or ex students out and about, and they recognise me, we just nod in passing.

strawbs likes this.