1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RamadhanTimes

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by crocodile dundee, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Fast Number 12 should be done today. Just wondering what time fasts are in different parts of the world where you are. I hear UK has it worst with 3am to 9.30pm whilst Saudi Arabia has 5am to 6pm - much shorter days.

2. mind you some mosques are starting 1.30am in UK just to be different.

3. lostintheworld

lostintheworld New commenter

Yes the UK is a killer at least for the next few years. I work in Dubai and its similar to Saudi 4am till 7pm. I was in Morocco a few years ago at it was similar also. I read on the news the other day that the shortest fast in the world at the moment is in Argentina - only 8 hours.....lets head there....

4. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Not sure of the times out here in Indo but pleased to report it has little effect on the non-muslims in society: shops are open, no problem eating in public (bacon sarnie anyone?) and little evidence that anything is different, other than slightly less busy roads first thing in the morning [​IMG]

5. bulegila

bulegila New commenter

In Jakarta fasting starts just before 5am and finishes just before 6pm. Adding to HGF's comments the only things that seem to change during Ramadhan is Spa's close, even ones that aren't plus plus, and some pubs close the front bar but the back bar is open. Oh and the malls are absolutely packed at breaking fast time. However that does mean that the roads are a bit clearer at that those times :) Towards the end of Ramadhan Jakarta will start to empty out. Then it becomes a half way pleasant place to be as you can actually get places.

6. shamsh

shamsh Occasional commenter

Fajr is just before 3am and maghrib is just before nine here in the UK now that we're half way through Ramadan, but the weather's cool and wet this week, which makes fasting easier( although it's not that hard once you're used to it!) My in-laws in Egypt have to fast shorter hours, but it is much much hotter, which I'd think would be harder, especially if there's no a/c!

7. Fajr cant be before 3am in the UK. In the north of England its set at 3.40am so I find that hard to understand. Yep 17 fasts should be over and done with today. Its a case of mind over matter. What I find difficult to comprehend is muslims by name are shying way from fasting with feeble excuses of minor illnesses and all sorts of excuses. Each to their own I guess. Im banking on the full 30 fasts this year simply because we drew 29 last year.

8. It depends when u started Ramadan too crocodile Dundee. Here in the UK our community is split, some follow whatever Saudi is doing whilst some of us are following the moon sighting committee whereby we actually wait for the nearest country that was has visibity of the moon to sight it. This year the Saudi followers started on the 20th whereas we started on the 21st. So for the Saudi followers eid is either on the 18th or 19th and for us it's either 19th or the 20th! It's so frustrating because sometimes my parents celebrate eid before me!

9. fpno@another.com

fpno@another.com New commenter

prayercalc.com is a nice tool if you want to look at how prayer times change according to location. Use it like Google Maps.

Farid

This (http://youtu.be/z0j9zMi4p_g) is a video of me explaining how the Fajr (after this time fasting begins) prayer time is calculated.

10. shamsh

I have been told that if one is in a country so close to one of the poles where variation of day and night is so extreme that you would follow the times of prayers, Iftar and suhoor as it is in Mecca. Especially if you were living in certain parts of the world where it is light for 6 months at a time and dark for 6 months!

11. I dont follow your point. Are you suggesting that the fast would be from one prayer to the next if there's total daylight or darkness depending on which pole you were closest to? Only 11 to go. Doesnt time fly. All the trepidation and annual fear has subsided as usual once one gets going. Can our Sheikh clarify the obligation for missing/praying Tarawee as some are very casual about it in my neck of the woods.

12. fpno@another.com

Crocodile Dundee

Taraweeh is sunnah muakkadah, it has to be performed by all who are not normally excused (travelling, extremely sick etc). However if a person misses it then it is not necessary to repeat it unlike the other 5 prayers.

Poles and Salah

Basically the Prophet Muhammad PBUH spoke about using estimation methods in conditions when there is not distinguishable day and night. Scholars have interpreted "estimation methods" in different ways.

Some have said you should use the times from the closest town or city where there is distinguishable day and night (Closest place to the North Pole that has a full year of both day and night ie the sun reaches 18 degrees below the horizon all year round is at latitude 48 degrees and 33 minutes)

I haven't really come across using Makkan times in the classical books, however some modern scholars do promote this.

13. shamsh

I understood using Makkan times to mean that you would break you fast at the time for Maghrib in Mecca and have suhoor before Fajr by Makkan time as obviously it would be extremely difficult to calculate prayer times when there is very little movement of the sun in relation to your latitude. Calculations already vary depending on which method you follow, as is mentioned earlier in this thread.

Ramadan karim.

14. I think that as long as there is good intent the almighty is beneficient and most merciful. 5 to go after today and the long haul will soon be over for many save those that owe further days or do so voluntarily, etc... My elderly mothers carer fasts for 9 months of the year and refuses not to. Bless her!

15. fpno@another.com

Lailatul Qadr is on either 21st, 23rd, 25th, 27th or 29th of Ramadhan according to the Hadith. The most popular date according to people is the 27th, however the hadith advices people to "search" during the last 10 days.

In terms of Eid, different people use different criteria for moon sighting. Some accept global sighting ie if anyone in the world sees the moon then they celebrate Eid. Some follow Saudi. Others follow their local place and try to sight the moon on the 29th and if they don't see it then they complete 30 days. Others calculate according to the new moon (which occurs between 15-30 hours before visible moon)

Farid

For more details visit www.wifaqululama.co.uk

16. agreed totally however he still persists that his local will finish the quran tonight wednesday and will have their own reasons hence expecting lailatul qadr to fall on 28th. Maybe he's confused on the ending of the quran and believing its the night to be. I was rather disappointed last night where most of the night at 2 mosques I visited hours and hours right up till 2am was spent raising funds only after which they started the Isha salaat and tarawee. Some folk incl. me left to do whats needed at home instead. Shame how interpretations is creating divisions and harming the old harmonies in various communities across the globe.