1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Raisng the profile of MFL

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by rebeccakennedy, Feb 10, 2011.

1. My head has asked me how we can raise the profile of languages in the school-independent prep school-without spending money or taking any time out of my job as Head of French
    Thankyou

2. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

Have you had any ideas of your own to start us off?

3. Not sure if it's the kind of thing you mean but I emailed all staff and got anyone who spoke any other languages (or English as a foreign lang) to explain how well/why they learnt it and some ways in which they use it. I then complied a powerpoint & one of the librarians made a display for it too.

4. dalej

dalej New commenter

How about starting a departmental blog and publish your pupils' work on it? Language teachers who have done this have found that a blog can certainly help to raise the profile of MFL in their school.
    Good luck.

5. And on the blogging subject, dalej, could you suggest a good blog to use for Languages, free would be absolutely fantastic!

To answer the initial question, we give taster lessons when it is option choice time in my school. I like the ide of checking other staff/parents who have another language! I might even have to steal it! [​IMG]

6. dalej

dalej New commenter

If you're looking for a fantastic free solution, I would recommend Posterous or TypePad if you are willing to pay a small monthly subscription.

7. Ok dalej, Thank you for this info, I will be looking into it! M[​IMG]aybe for next year as I can only do a little at a time...

8. yasf

yasf New commenter

well located display boards round the school with usual displays plus:
    student / linguist of the month
    language competitions where student can write answers on the board (e.g. guess the meaning of the idiom with appropriate pictures) - winners announced in assembly
    singing competitions in TL during assembly / after school. Get Music teacher to judge.
    MFL day (Spanish day - make pinatas during lessons then break on the day, French cafe selling hot chocolate and crepes etc etc).
    On MFL day run student competitions / show films / get teachers involved by having a staff competition (we got them to try and hold part of their lesson in the TL of their choice - good phrases being handed out on A4 - and the students judged the winners. Choccies and flowers were won).
    and then of course - the most successful option. Run a trip. Use a company like PGL if you want it to be less hassle. It can be cross-curricular with History (WW1 trenches), PE (Skiiing / rugby tours) and even Science / Art (loads of stuff in Paris, Barcelona, Berlin etc.)
    PM if you want any details about any of these. Best of luck.

9. I am trying to find an example of a school blog on posterous... anybody wanting to show off their talent to give me an idea?
    Thank you, M

10. Hi there - have been sitting next to Joe Dale in a talk for the last few minutes and spoke about my posterous blog. He has just nuged me and shown me your post and am more than happy for you to have a look round: stowmarketmfl.posterous.com
    That link is the 'main' dept blog and there are linked ones which are not publically available for each class/year group which can be password protected to enable a degree of security.
    Please do drop me a messageif you would like any more ideas.
    It's really easy to post by email and can take so many differentfile types and has been a great hit with the students.
    jennynb

11. Thank you Jennynb... I'm off to look at your blog!

12. Good, shame I couldn't see what kind of things you post for the classes... Maybe I'lljust have to create my own!
    How did you get SLT to agree to a blog?