1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Raising writing standards

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Apr 5, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Why do YOU think the children have not made the progress expected with you? You have posted what the observers think, but what do you think?

A competitive atmosphere doesn't have to be one child against another. I would definitely say my class are competitive. But they compete to be first to move to a new writing target, or to make the most percentage improvement in a test, or compete just among their group as to who will have the highest score. In marking (when I do the full on proper thing) I circle all good punctuation and they compete to see who can have the most circles. Or who has the most pink highlighting (for openers or vocab or connectives, depending on the focus. No-one minds that little Jonny (level 1 writer) had lots of circles all for full stops and capitals, but Sophie (level 5 writer) has fewer circles but for colons and semi-colons.

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

How about ussing the Pie Corbett approach to writing. Hs helped loads in my class. It involves lots of talking and planning!! Children have to be able to talk, then read before they can write.

3. Reading is of course the fundamental literacy skill. Those with limited reading experience and competence are invariably also poor writers. The answer is surely a good, practical library component in the rouitne curriculum followed by writing exercises such Dictation which provides practice in good writing technique. It is my experience as an educational researcher that those with poor wriitng skills show marked improvement after completing about 20 dictation exercises .

4. We have been told to write in our school for 35 to 40 mins every day. Talk for writing... planning...what's that?

5. Let me have a name and mailing address!

Eddie

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Really? Our 'booster group' children do a daily dictation (not my choice of intervention!) and there is no marked improvement in their writing. I certainly would not recommend it as a way to improving writing. Drives me nuts that they waste 20 mins a day in such an intervention instead of being taught how to write. They simply practise writing incorrectly.

7. 'They simply practise writing incorrectly'

I'm basing my claim on extensive practical research which will be published after the imminent KS2 test results are out. I cannot understand how children completing dictation exercises can be practicing 'writing incorrectly' if the dictation passages were written in good English. That would be quite a trick. In one Staffs school I am personally involved with, I anticipate that instead of the 22 children they predict to achieve Level 5 English, at least 50 will in fact achieve Level 5. I make this prediction BEFORE not after the research which is more usually the case

8. Because the children would be spelling the same passages in 'incorrect' English?

9. To those who have requested a copy of the CD, they will all have been sent out by Thursday evening. I would like to have your own personal reactions or queries posted here before they are used with children and then perhaps a brief commant a week or so after the children have started using them. It is obviously too close the the KS2 test now for there to be any significant boost to the test outcomes but I summarise and publish anecdotal comment as well as the results from the participating schools when these become available which I hope will be in July before the summer holidays.

10. Hi. How on earth can anyone expect anyone to write something without talking it through and planning the 'task' first? That's like writing a CV without discussing what you have done and doing a draft copy, without editing, before sending it in! Who would do that? Why are your SIP expecting the children to do that???
    We use a mixture of Ros Wilson, Alan Peat and Pie Corbett to address our Literacy levels and the children have responded amazingly! We (Year 5 & 6) have also started using Mike Wilks - The Ultimate Alphabet to engage and improve the children's vocabulary e.g. Picture E - image of a tooth = extract (average level child).
    I agree that you should be strict and not accept below level work (for that child). All children should be expected to write with a minimum of correct capital letter and full stop usage and basic mono-syllabic spellings. If not they write it again - this quickly correctly those who are 'lazy' writers and those who need help with this (they will ask questions before re-writing their work e.g. does the name of a town have a capital letter?).
    Good luck! Just jumping off my high horse now!
    Liz

11. The point of the dictation exercises is purely the enhancement and internalisation of the literacy skills. I leave it to others to enhance children's creativity and intellectual insight. I think that just cracking the skills bit is a significant contribution.