1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Raising the threshold is not acceptable

Discussion in 'Primary' started by eric_t_viking, Jul 10, 2018.

1. eric_t_viking

eric_t_viking New commenter

We teach to a standard - why isn't the benchmark the same each year, but adjusting for political reasons, we punish children and teachers for their hard work and dedication. This has to stop. Keep the standard the same!

2. aanneewalker

aanneewalker New commenter

Agreed.

3. dreamweaverplusactor

dreamweaverplusactor New commenter

I think they originally wanted to do this; I have a memory of it being sold as a strong point of the new curriculum and SATs in 2015/16.

I think they realised how impossible the task of making identically difficult texts every year was going to be though, so they've reverted back to movable boundaries.

4. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

A far cry from the days when 18 or 19 out of 50 would give a child a level 4c and a score of 35 generally gave a level 5!

5. dreamweaverplusactor

dreamweaverplusactor New commenter

To be fair, scoring that many out of 50 (and there were a good number of multiple-choice questions in those tests) shouldn't get you a pass on any test.

6. 2r2e

2r2e New commenter

Is it because it's scaled or standardised score?

7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

because the tests change every year and you can never predict exactly how new questions will be answered by youngsters. I sat O Levels where only a certain % of each grade were given each year, so you knew how you compared to other cohorts.
    That can no longer take place as the powers have decided that all schools and teachers should better there previous results every year. What a stupid system we have allowed to develop round us.

cassandramark2 likes this.
  8. HyperBunny

HyperBunny New commenter

They want us to fail so we can all become academies.

lardylegs likes this.