1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Raising the profile of reading

Discussion in 'English' started by defenceagainstthedarkarts, Apr 23, 2019.

1. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

We do not have a school library and use the one in the village, which isn't ideal as it involves crossing a busy road and means students can only go once a fortnight. The library don't employ much debt forgiveness, meaning students have huge fines and can't use it!

I (stupidly!) voiced the fact I didn't feel it was good value for money during an SLT meeting and now have been tasked with raising the profile of reading!

So, any ideas? We do have some hardcore "won't read" students but most will read a Wimpy Kid or similar. I've thought of author visits, book clubs ... running out of ideas now!

2. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Well, there's lots of things you can try. Off the top of my head:

- fun events (literary treasure hunts, poetry picnics, puzzles, competitions, etc). If you have a "house" system, you could have inter-house reading contests, for example.
    - reading on the curriculum. This could range from having "Drop everything and read" moments, regardless of the subject being tuaght at that point, to getting the English department to set reading as a homework task (having students do oral book reports is a good idea, as it saves marking).
    - reading interventions. This could be anything from expensive buy-in programmes like Accelerated Reader (probably not possible if you don't have a library) to getting older students to do guided reading with weaker younger students during tutor time.
    - get a library. We just built one. Used the atrium, and spent a grand in charity shops to stock it (usually got a massive discount when I said it was for a school), plus appealed for donations from parents and teachers, with produced a good response.Plus furniture and 6 computers it cost around £8,000 in the end.

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I (stupidly!) voiced the fact I didn't feel it was good value for money...

I'm curious as to why going to the library involved any cost at your school.

In any case, lots of good ideas to be found here.

4. defenceagainstthedarkarts

Because as I explained, it involves opening the public library at a cost (staffing, electricity etc.)

5. serafinanibs

serafinanibs New commenter

Can you get access to an online library? (Students can read books on their phones/other devices easily).

Chrissanderson likes this.
  6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Definitely one for the PTA. In other words, parents rather than teachers.

7. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Yep. Get PTA involved. Set up your own school library. Get parents and friends of the school to donate books. Get PTA to raise funds to buy books. Charity shops.

8. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

p.s. Keep mouth shut at future SLT meetings

9. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I guess you must have explained it in your head.:rolleyes:

10. defenceagainstthedarkarts

Just when I think TES can't get any more bizarre.

The first line of my post states "We do not have a school library and use the one in the village."

Thank you for the suggestions. I am not sure keeping my mouth shut at SLT meetings is what is wanted or in my job description. I was trying to have a gentle joke.

11. Wings77

Wings77 New commenter

One of the ways our school has done this is through dedicated reading time in lessons at the start of the lesson. Even 10 minutes. I've been completely surprised by how much they have enjoyed it. With the hardcore non-readers I have challenged them to find a book, any book that they genuinely enjoy, I initially asked them to find one and then gave up and gave them copies I thought they would engage in. Less wordy ones like Diary of a Wimpy kid etc. I've had 2 students who haven't read a full novel/book since year 5 and both have just finished their second full novels. It's been encouraging enough that my HoD has implemented this for next year. I supplemented my classroom books with books from home, as my children loved reading but have outgrown majority of them and we no longer have the space. I am talking about 30 plus books from my own home...

Chrissanderson likes this.
  12. Chrissanderson

Chrissanderson New commenter

13. Chrissanderson

Chrissanderson New commenter

How about having a set of books in each class, teachers can use the last 10-15 mins of class as Reading Catch up time - with a target for a Summary of what is read each term.