1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Raising the profile of PSHCE???

Discussion in 'PSHE' started by missmcd, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Hi, after a manic two year 9 lesons this morning, I have decided to toughen up on my new subject. Together with the citizenship co-ordinator, we have decided to book an assembly slot in which we would go in to assembly with some sort of all singing/all dancing VAK presentation about why PSHCE is important - our problem being, we a re picking up the pieces inour new posts. Pupils tell us they used to 'sit off' on the internet or 'just watch videos'. It's not going to happen like that any more....
    Does anyone have any ideas for a power assembly, or bits we could put into a power assembly???!!! I want to see the kids walk out of there excited about their next lesson or project!! Please help!
    Miss McD
    clairemcd2@hotmail.com

2. Hi, after a manic two year 9 lesons this morning, I have decided to toughen up on my new subject. Together with the citizenship co-ordinator, we have decided to book an assembly slot in which we would go in to assembly with some sort of all singing/all dancing VAK presentation about why PSHCE is important - our problem being, we a re picking up the pieces inour new posts. Pupils tell us they used to 'sit off' on the internet or 'just watch videos'. It's not going to happen like that any more....
    Does anyone have any ideas for a power assembly, or bits we could put into a power assembly???!!! I want to see the kids walk out of there excited about their next lesson or project!! Please help!
    Miss McD
    clairemcd2@hotmail.com

3. misspiggy82

misspiggy82 New commenter

4. You need to look at the staff who are teaching it - how are they delivering it, what resources are they using?

5. As PSHCE people, you should expect to be able to bag lots of assembly time - so don't look on this as a one off.
    Is it just for year 9, or a whole school assembly?
    How about, rather than going in and saying PSHCE is great (after all, its jut a set of initials to them), why not think up a project with a goal (maybe the magistrates court trial for year 9?) plan a SOW for the whole year group and then launch it in an assembly, emphasising that it's going to have a real magistrate, or a court visit, or whatever. or set them a project on human rights, or the environment, with a prize for the best projects, a speaker to kick start it, etc.
    Advice on an inset I went to was to institute proper end of module certificates for all students to go in their student records to signal participation.
    But EM is right - you need your colleagues on board. You can work yourself blue in the face saying how important learning to be a decent, healthy human being is, but if you have a member of staff coming in five minutes late, sticking in a video that is probably in the wrong place and that they haven't watched and have no idea how to lead a discussion on, your good work will be wasted. So if other staff are delivering, you need to get SMT on side and deliver a staff inset. I have a funny powerpoint suitable for staff if you would like it...

6. Hi,

Could I be cheeky and ask for that powerpoint presentation as well?

Thanks

R x

ramsden@fsmail.net

7. Hi guys,

I'm a new PSHE Co-ordinator also fed up of being overlooked and undervalued. Would be very grateful for powerpoint too.

Thank you very much in advance

Mel
    melissa_s_walker@yahoo.co.uk

8. H Norris

H Norris New commenter

Sorry to be a nuisance, but could you possibly send me a copy of your powerpoint?
    I need to create something for our prospective Year 6 Open Evening and thought I might be able to use your powerpoint as a strating point.

Many thanks,
    H.

john.norris5@ntlworld.com

9. We are planning to teach PHSE within all subjects at both KS3 and KS4 and not to teach it as a set lesson. Does anyone have experience of this? By the way can I have a copy of that powerpoint?
    Thanks
    Hil

10. There should be no such thing as PSHCE. These are two different subjects. Until you get this right you won't have a chance at raising the profile.

11. musico1a

musico1a New commenter

Could I please a copy of the powerpoint too? Many thanks - musico1a@aol.com

12. I have just completed the Certification of teaching of PSHE last year with specific reference to SRE and i agree that these two subjects should be taught on there own merits.
    Unfortunately due to lack of time they often get lumped together so it is useful to signal to the pupils the change in subject and which area it links to. The problem i face is that PSHCE is often given to any teacher with spare time and they are not sure what they should be doing....i am not co-ordinator but they are always at my door!!! Does anyone else have this problem????

I try to sell it to the kids as a life lesson in sex, drugs and crime! It gets their attention and they look forward to each lesson.

13. misspiggy82

I als have PSHE/Cit lumped together, but I have written very distinct units of work which are either citizenship or PSHE based. The students are aware which they are studying.

14. have just lurched in from nightout & am checking email while waiting for kettle to boil for sobering cupoftea (don't want you to think am saddo who goes on teachers website after midnight for lack of anything better, etc...).
    I should have remembered that whenever you offer a powerpoint, people leap at it.
    It is a powerpoint for staff, not pupils. It's a bit quirky so I'll have to tidy it up.
    Quite agree about the psh(c)e (and sre/wrl/and the rest) (the ppt makes that point).

15. Can't wait to see it - the quirkier the better!

Many thanks

16. misspiggy82

Would it be easier for you to upload it to the resources section? If not, can I also have a copy?

llamble@suttonlea.org

17. have sent copies out (not everyone put an email) but some bounced back so will have another go tomorrow.

18. Thanks very much to all for their advice and particularly the very inspirnig powerpiont. I have to say that i feel slighlty insulted at the way in which tibbet addressed my post. Maybe i am reading the tone wrong and i aplogise if i offended by using PSHCE as opposed to PSHE & C; i agree, however at my school timetable resptrictions mean Cit. is taught mostly discreetly across the curriculum whilst i deliver 4 lessons explicitly per year. We are pretty hot on the extra currricular and cross curricular links though. Thanks again to all those who had some excellent advice. If I have read your tone wrong tibbet, i apologise, but i did feel that was a little abrupt.

19. Hi cmgi,

I have emptied my mailbox so should go through now.Also can you try a small 'v' at the beginning of my name?maybe case sensitive. As you can no doubt tell, I am very keen to see the powerpoint (nothing to do with the fact I have a twilight session on tuesday!)

Thanks