1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Raising the profile of mathematics in secondary science and technology

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by stu2teach, Oct 25, 2019.

1. stu2teach

stu2teach New commenter

I am looking to raise the profile of mathematics across my school, especially in D&T and Science. I was thinking of a display that shows examples of where maths skills are used in these subjects, not only at KS3 and KS4, but in future careers.

Does anybody have any examples or ideas of things that would be good to include?

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

Are you not aware of how much maths in taught in science? And how often maths and science are at odds with each other? Maybe start be asking to liase with someone in the science department to coordinate maths so you are not contradicting each other would be more constructive.

border_walker likes this.
  3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

One of the best ideas for INSET/CPD I ever met was run by some Depts in a big school. Each Dept ran a session where they explained what they taught and how they did it; lots of conversation and interaction and sharing of ideas and strategies. The meetings were improved by a galss of wine and some nibbles (which is true of most meetings....).
    You might consider similar approaches.
    Worth having a close look at the science specifications (GCSE and A Level) and exactly what they require.

ViolaClef likes this.
  4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

5. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

This is such a good idea, @Skeoch! So often we all tend to work in our own little worlds - if you’re the only one in a department you can go for most of the day without speaking to another adult and no-one knows what on earth you are doing with your classes or what you are teaching.

Someone clearly knows how to do meetings at your school... ;)

6. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Unfortunately this isn't a problem that can be sorted out at school level, it needs the people fixing the specifications and setting exams to coordinate.

For example:

In science we try to convince them that weight is a force measured in newtons, but then they get a maths question about weight in kilograms.

In maths a "line of best fit" means a straight line, in science it could also be a curve if that fits the data better

They learn Pythagoras and trigonometry in maths but apparently in GCSE physics they can't use this but are expected to draw scale diagrams.

Corvuscorax likes this.
  7. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

Thats all true... but we can still coordinate things like scales, graphs, averages, within a school. In theory. In practice nobody has the time, I know that.

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

We had all the middle year 7 sets being taught by scientists one year, and they found it quite enlightening. Their focus that year was on getting to grips with what they needed to teach for us, but I think if the situation had continued, one of them would have set to work on getting things more coordinated.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Really annoying, I am sure. And when they get to study Mechanics, now a compulsory part of Maths A-level, they still can have the wrong idea.

10. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

In the previous specification there were questions in S1 exams about weight in kg, so the confusion arose even within different parts of maths A level, S1 and M1. I'm pleased to note that in the textbook for the new specification they do refer to mass rather than weight in the statistics part of the book, so hopefully this will apply in the exams also.

Piranha likes this.
  11. neetu228

neetu228 New commenter

We have started an inter school competition whereby students report to their maths teachers where they have used maths in different subjects, We keep a tally of the subjects mentioned and then give a prize at the end of the half term. This has raised the profile of maths among students