1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Raising profile of music throughout the school

Discussion in 'Music' started by katielouisesm, Sep 5, 2019.

1. katielouisesm

katielouisesm New commenter

Ive become a recent subject leader in music in primary. It is the least musical school I've worked in! There is a choir and ks1 and ks2 singing assemblies but music isn't highly thought of. I want to raise the profile

I can't work on ks2 singing assembly as this is all arranged through a local singing initiative where schools get together. I can and will make the ks1 ones better though!

What I'm looking for is tips and ideas to raise the musical profile. My first idea is to have a different genre of music every half term and every week a different artist with their music playing as chn come into each assembly. This will be displayed in the hall.

But what else?! I'm really struggling! Plus as a part timer there is a limit yo what I can implement

2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Do the children have class Music lessons every week?

Are there any individual instrumental lessons happening at the school?

3. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference New commenter

SInging can become the norm if you start with Early Years and maintain it. This ECD might ce of interest to you in that respect http://www.onemoretime.biz/snippety-songs.htm IT helps create an ethos where music becomes a part of what happens in every day life.