1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Raising maths results E2A+ consultancy Tom Cassidy

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by evi71, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Has anyone worked with them to raise results in their school?

2. DM

DM New commenter

I had never heard of him/them but as soon as I saw this, I knew it was a load of edunonsense (and that's the polite way of putting it):

<u>Typical thought patterns</u>
    I am right
    You are different
    You are wrong

<u>Advanced thought patterns</u>
    I am effective
    You are different
    Together we are more effective

[​IMG]

3. We had a talk on a training day a couple of years back, not from this lot but a similar outfit, and it was just painful. The guy was like Jeremy Clarkson but without the 'charm'. He described how education in Finland works (high social standing of teachers, limited contact time, good pay and conditions) and then something that he had heard in passing at a conference in Finland about 'deep learning' and 'throwing learners into the pit of not understanding' in order that they can gain experience by climbing out.

In addition to not being logically consistent, his talk was full of little more than platitudes. Some staff lapped it up but anytime anyone from the maths table asked a question they guy resorted to arm waving.

Oh, and the school was £2000 lighter at the end of the day plus all the opportunity cost of all the salaries for the day since no children were actually taught. In terms of the school manger who booked this guy, talk about a fool and his money being easily parted!

4. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

You mean a fool and somebody else's money!

5. Quite so, it is admittedly always easier to spend someone else's hard earned. It was particularly galling since a few weeks earlier we had been lectured on saving money and told that there were to no longer be tea and biscuits at staff meetings!

6. DM

DM New commenter

I actually read more of the e2a+ twaddle and cannot believe anyone in their right mind would engage the services of this shower. I mean just listen to this:

"Audio Learning & Programming Systems or ALPS for short, takes the power of mind advertising to the subliminal level. You can't be watching your Mind Adverts all the time. However, how many of the 168 hours per week could you happily put headphones on? While you commute? When down the gym? When out for a run? While doing the washing up? All this time you could be programming your RAS (Reticular Activation System) to bring you exactly what you want. "

"Quantum Mechanics Reframing (QMR) is the technique of measuring the same information in a different way in order to get a better result. Quantum mechanics teaches that when we make observations we actually effect the results. So, measuring things in a different way can actually create a different reality. We all know this: if we get bad news we can 'put things into perspective' and immediately feel better. The QMR technique changes this from being an abstract idea that is 'helpful but not really true' to a concrete step you take with all the theory of quantum physics supporting you. With practice you will be able to boost your energy levels and feelings at will by using this simple reframing technique." Disgraceful.

7. You are right,
    I am different,
    I am wrong.[​IMG]
    Weebecka has learned how to get along on this forum. She just forgets from time to time (well quite oftent actually) and falls into that deep fallicy:
    You are effective
    I am different
    Together we are more effective.
    Stupid rabbit. Give her a slap with a freshly caught haddock.

8. No idea who they are...so I googled them
    Here is the team....drum roll...................

A notable strength is his ability to prepare public sector workers for the profit-driven approach of the private sector.

With the current UK economic climate, Ryan is in considerable demand, and has been making a lot of concerned people very happy.

AND
    Barbi Goulding-Parr:
    visionary and inspirational communicator Passion, attainment and sustained development comes from within rather than (IMO) an external agency of this sort.

9. Ken and Barbi, LOL!

I got as far as 'people-rich environments' and immediately the part of my brain that screens garbage sprang into action!

The quantum measurement section looked fun, I think it's something government and some SLT are very good at. Certainly in my school, however well we do it's always berated as not measuring up.

I noticed one of the pictures looked like it was taken on a yacht, perhaps his own, bought with his ill gotten gains.

On a serious note though, some schools do buy into these things, mine foolishly did and at a time when we were very short of cash. In desperate times, people do desperate things and these kind of talks prey on that.

Droll, I know, but if one of them really does spend his time 'paying lonely women their daily visits', I can think of a few in my school where he would be welcomed...

10. No he is fleeing the shores of a country where they recently 'facilitated' a number of schools. [​IMG] The faux-fisherman in the background looks very much John Darwin......he of canoe fame.

11. Before I became a teacher, I used to work for a living ......
    ... one of my most successful little jaunts was in consultancy to the motor trade...
    .. I was a little porpoise swimming amongst big sharks and I made a lot of difference...
    .. and earned a lot of money. [​IMG]
    It did NOT involve bu))$4it just common sense - that was something that many in positions of authority lacked ....
    Amazing how the parralels are so clear with education really ....

12. Behave you are offending my SEAL-feelings with your rant.
    You need Ryan skills to help you be more explicit about your feelings as
    "he brings great awareness of inter-personal communication to the table."
    Im starting to think I need to take kids off timetable for some time with our experts. Perhaps I could sacrafice some English/Maths lessons to have them in and do team building workshops and role play.....I wonder if they accept Western Union payments for their work?

13. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

I can't be bothered with anybody who can't be bothered to use proper English in their publicity.

14. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Maybe they do mean that the observations <u>cause the results to happen</u> rather than just affect pre-existing results!

15. Can I have some of what you are on please? [​IMG]

16. arsinh

arsinh New commenter

Fair play to Tom for raising his head above the parapet.
    If we are paraphrasing can I be Charles Krauthammer?
    "In the middle ages, people took potions for their ailments. In the 19th Century they took snake oil. Citizens of today's shiny, technological age are too modern for that. They take career design/coaching sessions instead."