1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Raising grades within the whole dept for Maths

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Sidthepig, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Sidthepig

Sidthepig New commenter

% has been low consistently
    Behaviour can be poor
    Pupils are not reaching 3 levels of progress
    Pressure is on the dept to get % A to C in maths into the 70's. We are in the low 50's.
    We have tried:
    Intervention programmes
    My Maths
    Mathswatch
    Past papers
    The area in which the school is is a poor, socially deprived one
    Pupils' behaviour is controlled by a positive discipline system
    Majority of maths teaching is controlled, silent and everyone does the same method. It is this way due to past poor behaviour.
    Now, I have a dreadful task get a class of grade F's upto a "C" in about 8 weeks. No pressure here then!
    Any ideas apart from a treble gin and tonic and a padded cell
    My HOD is unapproachable and goes about ignoring people. All she does is criticise and locks away all the resources. It is costing me a fortune in printing inks from home.
    I wish to do the best I can for my class of "F"'s as they all want "C" grades. I'm running an extra revision class after school and trying to target C grade topics.
    What else can I do?

2. Sidthepig

Sidthepig New commenter

% has been low consistently
    Behaviour can be poor
    Pupils are not reaching 3 levels of progress
    Pressure is on the dept to get % A to C in maths into the 70's. We are in the low 50's.
    We have tried:
    Intervention programmes
    My Maths
    Mathswatch
    Past papers
    The area in which the school is is a poor, socially deprived one
    Pupils' behaviour is controlled by a positive discipline system
    Majority of maths teaching is controlled, silent and everyone does the same method. It is this way due to past poor behaviour.
    Now, I have a dreadful task get a class of grade F's upto a "C" in about 8 weeks. No pressure here then!
    Any ideas apart from a treble gin and tonic and a padded cell
    My HOD is unapproachable and goes about ignoring people. All she does is criticise and locks away all the resources. It is costing me a fortune in printing inks from home.
    I wish to do the best I can for my class of "F"'s as they all want "C" grades. I'm running an extra revision class after school and trying to target C grade topics.
    What else can I do?

3. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

I have no advice, but I just wanted to say, poor you x

4. Sidthepig

Sidthepig New commenter

I know it's a dreadful scenario but it's worse for the pupils!
    People expect teachers to perform miracles sometimes but we keep coming back for more.

5. And are you doing this on supply? Or did you just post this here by chance?

6. very interesting and same question comes to my mind, Is this a supply teacher or an accidental post on the supply forum.
    Some changing times in the supply game, I am non core in another subject.
    Have been doing bits of days a week in a secondary, a coupla weeks ago a HOD waltzed in and <strike>asked</strike> told me to improve grades.
    However the teaching groups have had the CS's in since September no work marked, no work assessed at all for ages.
    Not the CS's fault, however some serious thinking here. HOD is panicking as it is the time of the year when the heat is on.
    Get in a supply for a bit and blame them, this avoids the problem of being answereble for what the heck has been going on since September.
    Me the secondary supply, if on a regular basis I mark work assess and do catch up, BUT it must be in on a regular basis.

7. Sidthepig

Sidthepig New commenter

I'm in a new job permanent. Sorry did I post it on a Supply forum? Ooops! I get so muddled up navigating around these fora.