1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

raising aspirations

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lilkt, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    We had a staff meeting the other day talking about raising aspirations in our classes (primary fyi)
    Anyone got any good ideas of how to raise aspirations for primary aged children in a "rough" area? Got a few ideas but nothing yet...
    Thanks!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Get your nearest university involved. they do outreach but won't know you want to be involved unless you ask.

Have a careers day or week and invite people from professional careers.

Invite sixth formers in to talk about getting ready for university. Get them to talk about going as a matter of course, not as something 'other people do'.

3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

That is a good idea. I didn't even know that you could leave school at 16 until I was in year 10 or so. My family always talked about carrying on education as if that's what people did. I never contemplated not going to Uni as I always had people talking positively about it.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That is what we do in our school, also a fairly deprived area. We just talk about 'when you get to university' and so on, never 'if'. OK so lots of them won't go, but almost all of year 6 are currently planning to go, even those planning to be professional footballers or WAGs!

Both year 6 teachers just talk about it as an obvious step. WHEN you have done your GCSEs. WHEN you have done your A-Levels. WHEN you have finished university. They also know that both teachers were the first children from their families to go to university, so they have got past the 'my family don't go' sort of mentality.

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

When I was in my final year at uni I took part in the Student Associates Scheme - it was a 2 week placement in school and while there actively trying to raise the profile of HE, in the form of presentations, displays around school etc - making it something that appealled to children and also to make it seem achievable. It was fab and the school said the kids were buzzing about going to uni for ages afterwards. SAS runs nationally and is funded by the TDA I believe.

6. We researched famous/successful people from our area and put posters around school about them, and added questions that made them think what they could do to become successful. So, for an author it was something like- Good writers are good readers too. How many books have you read this week? Or- What kind of stories do you like to write.
    The kids loved them and it really got them talking about what they could be when they grow up.