1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Raising achievement in underachieving girls

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by pinkyandperky17, Jul 12, 2011.

1. <font size="3">Any ideas/help/information would be gratefully received!</font>

2. <font size="3">Any ideas/help/information would be gratefully received!</font>

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

is this across the board or in one subject area only?

4. It's across the board.

5. What are the demographics for the school?

6. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Catch it early (although that won't help with the older ones now!).
    Promote good female role models.
    In my last school, a middle school, for Maths (my subject) we had a single sex class which was very effective at improving their confidence and then consequently their attainment. Most girls have a natural tendency to playt down their skills, whereas boys will think that they can do far more than they can (generalising of course!) which means that the boys will take risks and give it a go whereas the girls often won't and will do the safe things.
    Are they underachieving at KS2 compared to their KS1 results, or is it just going astray when they get to secondary school?

7. Maybe have a look at Dweck ('Mindsets')? What different genders attribute success and failure to might have a bearing: e.g Girls can attribute failure to something they can't change ("I'm no good at maths just like my Mum" thereby attributing ability in a subject to a gift they haven't been given) which is completely self defeating etc. . . . It changed my outlook and, I think, my pupils' achievement.

8. bnm

bnm

At Key Stage 2 we have used single sex maths clubs which have proved effective for some girls.