1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Raiseonline - what do you think ?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Rednorfolk, Jan 17, 2017.

?

Should Raiseonline be scrapped ?

Poll closed Feb 16, 2017.
  1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. NO

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Rednorfolk

Rednorfolk New commenter

Just been given information about a system of showing school data, in various graphs and tables. Its meaningless, told it was to aid planning and intervention. All based on testing 4 year olds in reception to see how they progress until they are 18.

It all reminds me of the Emperor Clothes' story, why don't enough headteachers and education leaders say it is stupid to suggest that all children progress in a linear pattern,. Just because a chid appears to be able at 4 or not backward they will remain like for all their school life, is just daft.

Come stand up and do what one past OFSTED inspector said in the 1990's and put the report in the bin. If enough schools did that, we would just go away. What do you think or just old ****** who has seen all this before in my 30 year teaching career and should retire and allow some young eager NQT to take my job with the 25K bursary, pursue these mad ideas and then leave the profession after a couple of years ???

2. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

As an aid to planning I think Raise has its place. It is important evidence for senior leaders and the head that things are 'on track' and triggers action for those getting left behind. Unfortunately it is also used by Ofsted to judge the performance of the school but there is no annotations to explain why results might be good or bad. The class teacher has little need for it after a few weeks of teaching the class and marking work etc but if a supply or replacement teacher needs to 'take over the reins' it is a good point of reference.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

In terms of whether it improves the education of the pupils or is worth the effort to supply and maintain such a system which relies of the teachers time and diligence I would be inclined to say no.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I'm sure you are more creative than I am, but I can't see how this statement is remotely true.

5. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

It is actually being scrapped this year and in its place is the ...wonderful Inspection Dashboard.

6. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

It is a complete mess this year. I would not even contemplate giving it to staff but I provide a user friendly version instead.

This is the last year that Raiseonline will appear in its current form. It is not being scrapped but the contract is up for renewal and so it's format may be different in October.

7. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

I think it's all about how you use it. I analyse it to report to governors and to staff. I give them the headlines and what they need to know so we know what to focus on this year. Our current RAISE identified the progress of high attainment girls in mathematics. This has been beneficial to our KS2 teachers as when we looked at those children in their year groups they were ones the teachers agreed that they needed to focus on. Teachers don't need all the numbers, colour coding etc they just need to know what it means for their children. Also always remember it's only one piece of evidence and needs to be used alongside other information.

8. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

Yes the Inspection Dashboard which we have this year.