1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Raised large bump on leg

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Bonnie23, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi,

I'm freaking out a bit. I've had a scab on the back of my leg for months; I don't remember how I got it, it just sort of appeared. It won't heal and occassionally it bleeds. I'm really worried that it could be skin cancer but I'm probably over thinking it. I rarely go out in the sun and don't have long exposure to it but I imagine that's not the only thing that could cause it.

Can anyone give any advice? Image below
    https://snag.gy/7onFSM.jpg

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

It might have started off as an insect bite that just hasn't healed. I reckon you should get it checked out to put your mind at rest otherwise you'll carry on worrying about it. If it is anything more sinister, then the sooner you get it removed the better.

nizebaby and Bonnie23 like this.
  3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Just pop to the Dr. It's much better to either reassured or if it is something else, can be removed easily. Please don't panic, just make that call. Today.

Bonnie23 and ATfan like this.
  4. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

What grumbleweed said. If it is skin cancer, your GP can help you do something about it pronto. If it isn’t, your GP can tell you what to do to help it heal pronto (looks like the latter to me but I’m not medically trained which is why I echo grumbleweed’s advice).

Good luck!

Bonnie23 likes this.
  5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi Bonnie, hope you've taken the advice above and made a GP appointment. It's probably nothing serious but you should definitely get it checked out. Keeping health worries to yourself is never a good idea, it's all too easy to get a very small problem way out of proportion. You'll feel much better when you've talked to your doctor who I'm sure will reassure you.

ATfan likes this.
  6. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi, I've been to the doctor and although they don't think it's cancerous they have referred me to the hospital to find out what it is. Thank you for all of your advice.

bonxie and ATfan like this.
  7. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Excellent news. Hope that you soon find out what is and that it is dealt with. :)

bonxie likes this.
  8. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Good on you for doing it. Hope it's good news for you and you can stop worrying about it,

bonxie and ATfan like this.