1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Raise status of teachers to improve education'...and what do we do in the UK?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by edwardlyn, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Answer: We leave qualified teachers without employment and kicking their heels whilst filling classrooms with and leaving lessons to unqualified staff because they're cheaper. Could only happen in England.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17357646

2. Answer: We leave qualified teachers without employment and kicking their heels whilst filling classrooms with and leaving lessons to unqualified staff because they're cheaper. Could only happen in England.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17357646

3. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

>.<

Maybe we could all find jobs overseas and get some respect there.......

4. I find this particularly galling.

Chris Keates, leader of the NASUWT teachers' union, said: "The teaching
    profession is constantly evolving and adapting to reflect changing
    circumstances and this summit is an opportunity to share the best
    practice that exists across the highest-performing education nations in
    the world.

They were one of the unions that put supply teachers' heads on the block so that headteachers and the Government could swing the axe. How dare he make comment on best practice after abandoning a fair proportion of his fee paying members.

5. The NASUWT has NEVER cared much about supply teachers, I have a couple of personal experiences to vouch for that. The really bad thing is that this union is still spreading the myth that Britain is crying out for teachers while burying their heads in the sand of teachers not in "proper jobs." I have said this for years, supply teachers need to form a union of their own.

6. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

To be honest the ATL is not much better, both the ATL and NASUWT seek to recruit the support staff to become members, because most teachers are with the NUT, who would appear to have limited intererst.
    What amazes me is that we are only the developed country within the world that allows unqualified people to teach and what makes it worse is that even the Dept of Education admitted in Jan 2012 that there was too many secondary teachers for the number of kids on the roles of the schools. So why have they not followed Scotland's example and ban anyone without a teaching qualification from teaching?
    The truth is that politicians do not like the professional nature of teaching and which to make it a simple occupation that any person can do without any training. The politicians like Michael Gove and Ed Balls are bull ******** when they say things like we support teachers.

7. I get this uneasy feeling that teachers are to this (and the last) Government seen in much the same way the miners were to Margaret Thatcher's Government - there to be broken.

8. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

I agree. afterall it was David Miliband who said as an education minister 'I can see the day that every school as a few qualified teachers and the rest being unqualified', it was Labour who used the Workforce Agreement in 2004 to open Pandora's Box on the use of the unqualified to teach and cover lessons, they then changed the regulations by stealth to justify the use of the unqualified in schools. As the present Labour party front bench education team exposed the scandal of the use of the unqualified in schoolsand the answer is NO. We have Michael Gove saying that he wants to raise the standards of people seeking to train as teachers, that he wants to raise the status of teachers, then contradicts without batting an eyelid by saying that free schools can use anyone to teach, even if they are not teachers, this policy as been applied to schools for years and it would seem that Mr Gove failure to stop this unofficial (but unannounced official policy) is a green light to schools and academies to follow suit, with the knowledge that no action will be taken by the government or the Dept of Dumbing Down.
    Then don't forget the weasels in the teaching profession, the HT's who don't care about the future of the kids, because they save money by using unqualified and then of course there is the leader of the NASUWT, who for a leader of a teaching union, seems determined to destroy the professional status of some teachers, which is an absolute disgrace for a teaching professional to even consider doing.

9. In December 2010 Michael Gove was asked what qualifications were needed to teach in free schools. He failed to answer the question by just waffling on about teachers having to be well qualified (would he get a Grade C in a GCSE exam if he answered a question in the same way?)
    In the follow up question he answered by saying that he would not be overly prescriptive in the qualifiications needed.
    It was during this debate that he was accused of being in charge of the Department for Dumbing Down which he thought a big joke.