1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

rainy day ideas - under 6 months

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by all_heart, Jan 24, 2012.

1. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

Any ides on where to go and what to do on rainy days. I have lots of ideas for then they're at craft, cooking, puddle splashing ages but at 5 months it's more limited. We spend alot of time on play mats, jumperoos, vtech walker (the lights and piano part, not the walking yet) we sing songs, pull faces, laugh all the usual indoor things I'm fine with but doing that 6am - 7pm is a bit much. We normally go to a sure start centre and do play group and baby sign and when it's not raining walk to parks, feed ducks etc... It's is nice to get out and about and it keeps me sane but when it rains we're limited. soft play seems aimed at older babies, going for a coffee is boring for LO, walks are all open air.

Any suggestions? I'm having one of those days where it's raining but I really need to do something!

2. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

Any ides on where to go and what to do on rainy days. I have lots of ideas for then they're at craft, cooking, puddle splashing ages but at 5 months it's more limited. We spend alot of time on play mats, jumperoos, vtech walker (the lights and piano part, not the walking yet) we sing songs, pull faces, laugh all the usual indoor things I'm fine with but doing that 6am - 7pm is a bit much. We normally go to a sure start centre and do play group and baby sign and when it's not raining walk to parks, feed ducks etc... It's is nice to get out and about and it keeps me sane but when it rains we're limited. soft play seems aimed at older babies, going for a coffee is boring for LO, walks are all open air.

Any suggestions? I'm having one of those days where it's raining but I really need to do something!

3. go swimming!
    LO has a sit in floaty seat thing from mothercare. I push her up and down with my face whilst swimming - everyone's a winner!

4. Swimming is a great idea. I've been taking my LO to weekly swimming lessons since she was 6 months old. My local pool actually takes them for lessons from 5 months. She absolutely loves it and is so confident in the water (now 17 months)- it has really paid off. You don't have to have a special seat or armbands - just carry baby.
    Read books! Go to your local library and get them for free.
    Go for a walk anyway! Put the raincover on the pushchair and dress yourself appropriately. You'll feel better for the fresh air and exercise.
    Is your baby sitting? Put them in a baby padding pool full of porridge oats or rice crispies. Have lots of fun playing with them and don't worry if some get eaten!

5. I would second the idea about a library, ours is great and has loads of toys as well as books.
    I wouldn't write off going out for a coffee or meeting a friend for lunch, it's important that you are happy as well as her - happy mum = happy baby. Plus, if there's a friend or family member that you can visit in their home where there is another LO or some different toys to play with then she'll have a great time too.
    Anywhere with animals is always great, at any age I think. Make some music? You can make great rattles with usual kitchen stuff and saucepans make great drums.
    The important thing to remember is that anything and everything is exciting to your LO so don't worry too much about doing something that is especially for her. My LO loves riding in the supermarket trolley! I always reckon that if I do one thing a day that is specifically for LO - swimming, music session, feeding the ducks - then I shouldn't feel guilty about the rest of the time!

6. I agree about the animals, we have a local garden centre that has lots of rabbits, birds, guinea pigs and so on and our LO has always enjoyed going there - plus it's free!!

He has always like the supermarket trolleys too and now he's a bit older he likes helping to put things in the trolley which makes food shopping a lot easier.

I try to do something aimed solely at him each day and then the rest of the day is a mixture of playing / walking the dog / getting chores done!

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I agree. When my son was a baby I used to go out for coffee quite a bit and he was perfectly happy sitting in his high chair, and he used to have a sleep in his buggy. We went for long walks too by the sea and he loved that, and also go round to a friend's house.
    He's 2.5 now so we do lots of groups, soft play etc and my 8 month old daughter enjoys all that, but she's also happy sitting in her highchair or jumperoo and watching her big brother play. She does try to join in and is standing up at the furniture, so the groups and things are more fun for her now.
    At that age they're perfectly happy exploring and just playing with whatever they find, or going out in the buggy and looking round.
    I second swimming. I don't often get to take my daughter as i can't handle 2 on my own!

8. I used to meet up with friends once a week for coffee when LO was that age. We would all bring a toy or book and the babies would entertain each other. We had to stop when they all started crawling though as the cafe got really annoyed with us! We moved on to toddler groups.
    Garden centres are great, especially ones with fish/animals etc. Do you have a museum near you? We used to have a fab one down the road that was free and I really miss that now we have moved!
    You could also go for a train ride maybe? Not to anywhere in particular, or even the bus. LO should enjoy that. Just tell the driver you want to do a round trip. Sometimes I used to just get in the car and drive somewhere pretty just to get out of the house. LO would usually sleep which was nice.
    If you know any other mums you could invite someone round or invite yourself round to theirs so you're not on your own all day.
    Sometimes if we're stuck in we have a bath together with lots of toys and bubbles which is nice.
    If it's not raining too much, get togged up and go out anyway. The fresh air will do you both good. Even if it's just for 20 minutes.
    If you have a leisure centre near you, a lot of them have creches that will take babies from 3 months so you could go swimming by yourself or do a class and get some 'me' time?
    It's hard at that age, things get more interesting as they get older and you can to the parks and play areas and stuff. I found once LO started walking we could do so much more. Winter is rubbish!

9. Here's a cheap one: start making a treasure basket for when baby is sitting securely. Lots of interesting objects (not toys, real stuff) to explore eg whisk, wooden spoon, hair roller, loofah, wooden ornaments from charity shop, lemon, scarf, large pebble, metal dish, egg cup etc. Baby can reach in and select and mouth objects as you watch. Add in bits as you find them to increase interest. Takes a while to get a good full basket so start looking for bits now!

10. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

Lovely ideas - we went to the library in the end, sat and looked at lots of pictures. I didn't think of the garden centre, we have a lovely one here with lots of pets. We went swimming the day before, but I have ordered one of those swim seat inflatables for next time.
    Usually I'm fine with things to do, I think I was having a fed up day (my first since having her so not bad!)
    Cheers