1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rainforest topic in Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lara mfl 05, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

For KS1 I wouldn't stress out too much about this.
    You've got some good ideas here. When I did this topic it was Year 6 and we looked at 'Flora and Fauna' (flowers, foliage, insects and other animals). weather in these areas. We built a huge collage showing lower, middle and higher levels and how the foliage/insects/animal life differed. Lots of maths work with rainfall and measuring temperatures, comapartive sizes. We made poems and did lots of art work obviously- leaf prints (which would be simple enough to do withyour age group) went down well I remember! Science we looked at different sub-groups-classifying.
    Can't remember the name of the book I used as a stimulus -I remember it was an American import with some beautiful pictures about the story of the trees.

2. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

Thanks Lara, fantastic ideas and easily adaptable, [​IMG]

3. Lara mfl 05

Found the book title. The Great Kapok Tree- A tale of the Amazon rain forest by Lynne Cherry. There's salso The Vanishing rainforest byRupert Platt & Richard Van Wyck. Stanley saves the Rain Forest by Tony Frais and many more suitabl;e books.
    What about the DVD Bugs for a stimulus?

4. Lara mfl 05

Meant of course A Bug's Life'

5. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

Thanks- I had thought about the jungle book dvd but was'nt sure if I should use it in case the children got confused between rainforests/jungles. I think at this age they would'nt really understand the difference so might just play it! however another thing confuses me that all the animals found in rainforests are they also found in jungles?
    I'm just watching bits of Bugs on youtube but most of it seems to be on the ground, and not really showing much of anything else.. I think I might use it during the 'what animas are found in the rainforest?' session.

6. comenius

comenius New commenter

7. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

Thanks- I'd forgotton about 'Rumble in the Jungle' that's a lovely story as is 'Monkey Puzzle'by Julia Donaldson, I might use both!
    I've just found a group that come into school and do a session on 'Rainforest Animals' so that could be the WOW thing to start the topic with.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

When I was a little child, the word was jungle. But now the word rainforest has appeared, it's necessary to distinguish between jungle that is rainforest and jungle that is not. Fair enough, really.
    Are you thinking about rainforests in particular or about 'jungles in general'? Answer that question for yourself and you'll know which way to proceed!