1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rainforest and Literacy - help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Jools1808, May 19, 2011.

1. I'm a student teacher and I'm hoping to incorporate the rainforest topic into a literacy module after half term. The only problem is that the children have already tackled persuasive writing and advertising, which were what I had planned to do.
    I've got some ideas but wondered if anyone could share what they have done with the rainforest in literacy so that I can try to improve mine! I am teaching y3 but can adapt any ideas :)
    Thank you in advance!

2. We did information texts about layers of the rainforests - the idea originated from Hamilton trust. The kids researched each layer of the rainforest and then made a 'layer book' - they looked brilliant and the kids were really proud.

We looked at Paul Hess poetry (do a search for his book 'Rainforest Animals' on Google books and you will see examples of his poetry). They are really simple, 4-line poems but are very good for examining number of syllables in words and rhyming patterns in poetry.

We also read some of the 'Just so...' stories by Rudyard Kipling e.g. 'How the Camel got it's hump' and made up their own for their chosen rainforest animal.