1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rainbow Fizz - pH scale in a test tube expt

Discussion in 'Science' started by londinium, Jan 22, 2008.

1. londinium

londinium New commenter

I'm doing this with my year 7s tomorrow.

Has anyone got any advice?

I'm trying to figure out learning outcomes and questions and stuff for them.

They've now finished the topic so it's just a fun lesson and I'm going to try to get in some revision in the hour also.

It's my last lesson with them (other than the test on thursday) so I wanted them to have fun. Also, they're going to be taught my substitute teachers for a while after I go so I wanted to do a lab to entertain them.

What are the main teaching points?

I'm going to get them to note down any changes they observe, like heat when the water is added to the sodium carbonate, and fizing,a nd the colour changes of the indicator.

2. londinium

londinium New commenter

I'm doing this with my year 7s tomorrow.

Has anyone got any advice?

I'm trying to figure out learning outcomes and questions and stuff for them.

They've now finished the topic so it's just a fun lesson and I'm going to try to get in some revision in the hour also.

It's my last lesson with them (other than the test on thursday) so I wanted them to have fun. Also, they're going to be taught my substitute teachers for a while after I go so I wanted to do a lab to entertain them.

What are the main teaching points?

I'm going to get them to note down any changes they observe, like heat when the water is added to the sodium carbonate, and fizing,a nd the colour changes of the indicator.

3. well the "main teaching points" are whatever you want them to be - either do a practical for the fun of it or make the practical fit your learning objectives - you'll make your life hard if you decide you want to do a practical and then try to work out why you were doing it.

This year with rainbow fizz I took the kids with the best rainbows and took a pic of them with my mobile phone wearing lab coats and the fruits of their labours in hand to stick on the wall - they really loved that.

An experiment I like doing with them after rainbow fizz is to challenge them to make the rainbow but a separate colour in each test tube given a strong and a weak acid and a strong and weak alkali to mix. They quickly manage red and purple but it takes a while for them to get anything else ... its funny seeing the first one slapping their forehead as they realise they already have green .. then you see them building on and nicking each others' ideas - it's more of a creative thinking lesson than a proper science lesson as many of them end up producing colours by accident but I like watching the cogs whirring upstairs.

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Agree with specko.

My *buzzword of the month* to do with this is:

"To show that science and learning is fun and to instill a sense of awe and wonder in the pupils"

I give prizes (merits) to anyone who can get a traffic-light of 3 colours in the same tube and also to who can make the prettiest colour as judged by myself and my TA - that's what kids respond to and what insires them, not some up-yer-**** OFSTED blox dreamed up by those at the bull**** end of the teaching spectrum.

5. This sounds great! Can anyone give me some details? :eek:) I'm starting my PGCE in Sept and am collecting useful practical ideas in advance.
    Thanks
    OS

6. oldspice - rainbow fizz is a classic prac - it's likely at any school if you ask for it, they'll have sheets and can just supply you the equipment. If not I can certainly send you the materials from the exploring science SoW we use here - just bump the thread when the time comes.

7. Thanks specko!

8. Hey, I have never done that expt before and asked at my school - apparently never heard of it(?)

Can anyone give me details?

big thanks

9. londinium

londinium New commenter

Experiment went well, kids had lots of fun and made really good observations. We were able to talk about lots of good stuff which will lead them well in to the next topic.

It was my last lesson with them so I'm a bit sad but glad that I was able to do some chemistry with them.

10. I had never heard of this experiment either and always wanting to expand my chemistry repertoire, I found it on a previous thread:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/thread.aspx?story_...
    It'll make a change from my usual neutralisation challenge: Who can get get green by mixing acid +UI with alkali +UI !
    I really appreciate having this forum available as I would otherwise stagnate!
    Pumpkin

11. Do you use the same concentrations for the acetic acid or is the last one more concentrated?

12. same, but I usually have a dropper bottle of HCl on hand in case some haven't quite got the colour change

13. Sorry, I also forgot to ask what concentration of Acetic acid to use as well. Thanks