1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rain!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, May 30, 2011.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I know that some of you have had loads of it recently but in my bit of the country we have had nothing of any substance since February.
    Then this afternoon it started about 3pm and it's still coming down! Slow and steady but the lawns will be watered now and the water butts are starting to fill up.
    Only yesterday I weeded the graden and was lamenting the hollyhocks and foxgloves I planted last autumn that should be like cabbages by now but instead are flowering at 6" high or have virtually no growth on them at all.
    I was starting to worry considerably about the summer proper following this long dry spell but now I am incredibly relieved.
    [​IMG]

2. Some parts of the country have had significant rainfalls but not here. Like Mangle, we have had very little rain since February.We had some rain today but not nearly enough. We need at least 7 days of unbroken, gentle rain to make a difference. I noticed yesterday that the water level in the local lake is down by at least 2ft.
    The clay soil is badly cracked and plants are flowering far too soon - not because of the warm weather but because they are stressed. Some of my roses have now finished flowering for the year....at the end of May!
    Germaine Greer wrote a very good article in yesterday's Telegraph by the way about this

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Here in Sydney I have started to build an ark. The rain is coming down in torrents.