1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rail passenger rights to be strengthened

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sparkleghirl, Nov 22, 2018.

1. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Increased compensation for severely delayed or cancelled trains, obliging train companies to sell 'through tickets' for combined journeys (to prevent railway companies from selling separate tickets for different stages of the journey which allows them to bypass existing obligations relating to compensation, rerouting and assistance). Rail companies will not be allowed to claim exemption from paying out compensation by alleging 'extraordinary circumstances' - rail companies had pressed for this exemption.

The EU parliament voted for this last week.

Rail operators in the UK might be hoping brexit will save them from such ludicrous ideas.

https://www.eubusiness.com/Members/BEUC/passenger-rights

chelsea2 and monicabilongame like this.
  2. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

On the ither hand it enables nationalisation

3. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

So tell us about DB and SNCF and RENFE

4. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The whole initiative was raised by another organisation the BEUC, a pan european consumer's organisation that has representation from 32 states. It works closely with EU and national lawmakers but the EUs own regulatory advisor on consumer law is the ANEC http://www.anec.eu/

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I doubt that they are particularly bothered. Only 5 of the 28 EU member states fully apply even the existing rules (Belgium, Denmark, Italy, the Netherlands and Slovenia).

6. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

They were created before 1993 . The EU policy oñ rail is to greater liberalisation and competition. See Rail Directives

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The airlines need tackled as well.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  8. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

You miss the point. They run railways in UK.

Actually, I don't think RENFE do, but the Dutch railway does.

Profits are taken from UK passengers to the nationalised railways of Europe.

I don't blame the EU. I blame the British government.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  9. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I have a feeling that the rights we have as airline passengers from from EU law as well.

Slightly off on a tangent, when Ryanair staff in Spain went on strike earlier this year causing massive disruption, Ryanair decided not to pay the compensations because the fine they'd get for not doing so would be less money. So while compensation might need to be increased, penalties for not paying out need to keep pace.

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Companies do not pay compensation - only the consumer through higher fares.

11. burajda

burajda Star commenter

A great British legacy for the EU. What will they do without our passion for market led anglo saxon economics?