1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Raeburns - pros and cons.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sugarglass, Jan 24, 2012.

1. I don't know much at allabout Raeburns but have one in the kitchen which is not in use at the moment. The chimney needs swept I think and the thing needs a proper service before it can be used. It is a solid fuel one - justwondering if it is even worth getting it working? The cost of oil these days is scary and wondering if sorting out the Raeburn would save a bit? Anyone know anything about 'em?

2. I don't know much at allabout Raeburns but have one in the kitchen which is not in use at the moment. The chimney needs swept I think and the thing needs a proper service before it can be used. It is a solid fuel one - justwondering if it is even worth getting it working? The cost of oil these days is scary and wondering if sorting out the Raeburn would save a bit? Anyone know anything about 'em?

3. I had a solid fuel one for years and loved it. Ours was our source of hot water too. The only downside, I suppose, was cleaning it out.
    I nurtured a litter of kittens by the side of ours, where it was warm, because their mum died.
    It really does take a little bit of getting used to because it's not as controlable as a gas or electric hob/oven but once you do get used to it you'll love it.
    I wish I still had one.

4. Thanks Poemeelectonique - I am wondering if it isa viable option for someone who works full time and I'm knackered when I get home and just want a warm house to come home to - I mean do you need to clean them every day and stick new wood in regularly like a woodburning stove?

5. Mine is oil fuelled so I don't really thing my comments are relevant. I do love it, though, for constant heat and hot water and because since I got it I rarely turn on the electric oven. Dunno that I could be ***** with a solid fuel one as I don't know if it would last the day/overnight without having to relight it.

6. Thanksairey - i think this is solidfuel because it has a little grate - I know so little about them I really need to get a fella in to tell me what it can do. I have a feeling it can heat the water but not sure about central heating - that would be good if it could.

7. It should do the radiators - I can't see why you would have one and not have it set up to do so. Even if not it will heat the room it's in to toasty warmth, even at the lowest of settings. And you could always get it converted if it's not already plumbed into the heating.

8. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

it will stay in all day while you are at work.

9. Oh well, in that case I'd say go for it. I light my woodburner every day and I don't find it a hassle (its so efficient there's barely any ash so you can just light a new fire without cleaning it all out like you'd have to with an open fire. It takes 3 mins, tops, and wood is so much cleaner than coal. Hey Lurk, on a completely unrelated point do you know how much (very roughly) secondary glazing costs? I looked online but everyone wants to come and give me an estimate and I'm really not at that stage yet.

10. I think I will - time to try to find a Raeburn engineer in my area and get this costed. The last oil bill was breathtaking!

11. lurk_much

annoyingly expensive to extortionate.
    This sort of stuff is the cheapest and with some 4mm toughened glass can work out looking good. If you fill around it with appropriately sized timber fillets the window shouldn't look tatty. It may be best to buy a bit to try it in place with a load. The next up in price is an alluminium version. I did some a few years ago, fitting was £150+ a window plus parts including redecorating the internal frame and fillets.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270490804736?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

12. lurk_much

I watched an aga engineer service my aunt'ssolid fuel 50s aga last year. It was £150 and looked like money for old rope. (you will get the pun when you watch yours being done)

13. This Raeburn is a 50s or 60s model too I think but looks in good nick. £150 is a lot less than I'd have expected but the chimney needs doing too. Even 400ish would be OK but not going much higher than that.Thanks all for advice :D

14. I used to clean my out every day. It feels like a real faff at first but you just get into a routine. I used to chuck all sorts of things in the fire and my bins were practically empy. I used to do mine first thing in the morning and leave it. I used to put spuds, stews etc in the slow oven and they'd be done when I got back in at dinner time, The main fuel I used was coal so the worst thing about clearing it out was the klinker (bit sharp!) but other than that it was fine.
    It really is a lovely feeling having a cosy kitchen.
    I'm feel very nostalgic now [​IMG]

15. I wonder how readily available coke and coal is, today? There used to be two or three coal merchants near us, but they seem to have disappeared years ago. With oil burning stoves, there is now the problem of the security of your storage tank. Some friends of ours live in rural Wiltshire and had the contents of their oil tank stolen, last winter; even worse for them was that the insurance no longer covers it.
    When I was young, we had a coke boiler in the kitchen, which had a small oven above, and a back boiler (heat exchanger), which heated the water. It also heated two large radiators; one in the downstairs hall and one at the top of the stairs. My father used to bring home loads of wood, which he scavenged from builders' refuse. Literally, anything with carbon atoms in it got shoved into the firebox, so only metal and glass went in the dustbin.

16. Our Rayburn will heat all hot water and power 5 radiators (they may do more but we have 5) and gives a massive hot plate and an oven (plus a warming oven).
    Needs smokeless fuel/coal/wood morning and night - I load it about 7.00am and 10.00pm. Having said that if it is left on lowest settings it will last about 20 hours and still come back to life when re-fuelled, but that cannot be guaranteed.
    Light it with firelighters (5 or 6) don't mess with paper and sticks!
    Ash needs to be removed at same time (same as a coal fire).
    Google Rayburn for details (and Google CPL Distribution for coal)

17. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Oh, I'm looking to replace one of my open fires with a woodburner. I need one to fit into the fireplace and not look out of place. I didn't realise Rayburn/Aga did one, I'd assumed I would have to go for an Esse - now I'm confused. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has this kind of stove and can recommend a brand. Hope you don't mind me asking on this thread, Sugarglass.

18. lurk_much

19. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Mine's also oil fired - wish it were solid fuel.
    Heats the water and the bathroom radiators. Much cheaper to run than equivalent elctricity and it means that I can have the central heating off or on low almost all the time.
    Coal, coke and logs* are cheaper than oil. I get the chimney swept on mine about once a year - costs £20.
    *Remember you'll need somewhere to store these, though. We had a solid fuel one when I was growing up in the dark ages and it never went out - just cleaned out once a day. You can use it for most things instead of an electric oven/hob and I prefer it for quite a lot of cooking. I also keep a whistling kettle on mine. Useless for anything you want done fast in the oven, though, so no good if you're in a hurry. Makes the best proper porridge on the planet, though. Oats into liquid at night. Put it on top of the Rayburn but with the hobs covered. Stick it on the hob in the morning and you're porridge is ready before you can turn round - about as long as it takes a toaster.
    Oh - I'm a bit of a fan.

20. Re woodburners, we've got two. A traditional cast iron one (Esse) in our living room, and a modern cylindrical steel one (Westfire) in our sun lounge. The Esse is the more economical of the two, the Westfire chucks out ridiculous amounts of heat, but on paper they have the same output (5kw).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]