1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Radishes

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by musings85, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Thanks for the ideas Bethannie. DO you mean radish works with egg in a sandwich? Like a radish and egg mayo sandwich?

2. I just eat them as they are, by the handful. Love them! Over and over again............

3. grate them and use for topping sushi or add grated to egg mayo for sandwiches.

I think they can be cooked - but never tried

4. Thanks everyone - I think I'll try grating a few into an egg mayo sarnie. Cosmos - do you dip them in anything or just have them on their own?

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I'm with cosmos. Best as they are, raw, with a little sweet, unsalted butter smeared on them and a sprinkle of Maldon sea salt.

6. At the moment, just on their own, but if I am not fretting about my weight I like to put a little dab of unsalted butter on the radish. Heaven. That is a habit I picked up from my schooldays in France. It was the only time butter ever appeared on the table.

7. Snap nick [​IMG]

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I like to add them to homemade coleslaw. It adds a fantastic flavour.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Radish and orange salad,slice radishes and segment an otange/s, alternate in a ring drizzle a little EVO over and lemon juice, add black pepper.

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

orange not otange!! Also some crystals of sea salt

11. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I did try boiling them once, out of interest when we had a glut. I was wondering whether they could be used in a stew to replace turnip. They lose all their colour very quickly and taste pretty bland. I expect you could successfully add them to a stir-fry.

12. I think I might have to try them with a little butter - easy snack! Out of interest lapinrose, what is EVO?

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Sorry, just short for Extra Virgin Olive oil, used on a food website I am a member of and saves writing the whole thing!! Maybe it should be EVOO!!

14. Ah I see, I have learnt something new today! Thanks [​IMG]

15. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

[​IMG]

16. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Last year, we had a glut of them in the garden, and I used them sliced very finely in stir fries. I also used them in chinese type dishes eg chicken in black bean sauce as a substitute for water chestnuts- a completely different taste but it was a pleasant combo nonetheless.

17. henriette

henriette New commenter

Me too for the butter - best ever!
    I have sliced them very thinly and added them to stir-fry - cook them long enough to be warm through but not so long that they go soggy, so just for thelast few seconds, really.

18. I am not keen on eating them whole raw.
    However, I do slice them thinly into salads, or grate them.
    And I use them all the time in stir fries, if I have them to hand.