1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Radio presenters I can do without

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Nov 27, 2015.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I know it's commonly said that Cerys Matthews is wonderful but she really gets on my nerves. She makes childish comments in an annoying voice and just seems to have a hugely inflated view of her own ability. She reminds me of the girls at college who used to make really obvious points in classes and get fullsome praise for stating the b l e e d i n g obvious.
    I also dislike Stuart Maconie and Steve Lamacq. Why are they considered to be so special?
    I'm giving Nick Robinson time to settle in.
    I love the radio and there are some fantastic voices in great programmes but ....

Oh crikey - wrong forum. Sorry.

2. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

I could live without Sarah Brett & Dan Walker from R5Live, to be honest.

GLsghost likes this.
  3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I have 6Music on a lot and the quality of presenter varies. Agreed on Cerys Matthews. She is ridiculously drippy and her quality criteria "If it's old or foreign then it's good" leaves a lot to be desired. That poem segment she does on her Sunday show is cringeworthy.

Similarly drippy and annoying on 6Music - Mary Ann Hobbs and Nemone. Liz Kershaw is a bit irritating as well as is Nemone. Sadly, most of the female presenters on 6Music are all a bit similar. Lauren Laverne is the best on there.

Agreed on Steve Lamacq. The prevalence of noisy 80s indie gets tiresome and his delivery is woeful. "Me and Fruitbat from Carter down Camden Roundhouse etc" and his phone-ins sound like they've been thought up by an imbecile. I also can't listen to Tom Robinson's show for long.

Faves on 6Music are Jarvis Cocker on Sundays, Gilles Peterson on Saturdays and Gideon Coe and Tom Ravenscroft on weeknights.

MrsKellyWhite likes this.
  4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Chris Evans. Ugh. I turn over to Radio Scotland when he's on - but then I have to listen to Kaye Adams who I can't abide either. I then resort to the Gaelic station as I can't understand a word but I like the sounds. Once I know Christian O'Connoll will be finished over on Absolute 80s I switch over to that for most of the day until Simon Mayo comes on to Radio 2 at 5pm.

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Same here, except I don't receive Radio Scotland. Steve Wright always gets the switch too.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Steve Wright...

7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Is R1 still going?

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sadly yes... can do without all of them.

aspensquiver likes this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Yes, Steve bloody Wright. He's wetter than an Appleby doormat.

MrsKellyWhite and lanokia like this.
  10. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i agree about mary ann hobbs, @nick909. her airyfairy hippy little girl voice drives me bananas. why can't she speak like a grown woman?

MrsKellyWhite and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I like Steve wright but chris Evans can't stand

12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Or Vanessa delta?

13. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I hate them too.

I don't mnind Chris Evans. I love it on the odd occasions that Tarrant sits in for Steve Wright.

14. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

I really like Peter Allan and am still distraught that he moved to daytime!

FrankWolley and GLsghost like this.
  15. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

You could all try listening to Greg James on Radio 1.
    He does a podcast every Friday with Chris Smith of the News which you can download and hear for free.
    He is soooo refreshingly natural and funny its like being back at school as a pupil.
    My fav part is Rage Against the Answer Machine where people phone in and scream about the things that irritate the c ra p out of them.
    He's just really good and so not irritating. H.e phones his Mum and says things like she can only chat for a couple of minutes as she's in a meeting

I like that bloke who introduces stuff on Radio 4 with the gorgeous deep voice. He always makes me feel sooooothed. Does anyone know who I mean - qm - sorry my question mark won't work.

16. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

The way she reads huge tracts off wikipedia to introduce records and artists she is supposed to have personally chosen annoys me.

17. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Zane Lowe used to irritate me, but he's left now. He had a terrible interview style - basically delivering a monologue and then inviting the interviewee to agree with him.

In fact, I can't bring myself to listen to music radio in the car (with no DAB) - I'd pick Radio 1 for the music, but I can't stand the mockney speech of the presenters, and as for the Heart-style stations... I don't like Chain Reaction, so they're not for me.

18. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I quite like Cerys Matthews, Lauren Laverne. Marc Riley on Radio 6. I like Simon Mayo and Liza Tarbuck on Radio 2. Chris Evans is vile and Steve Wright and his 'Big Show' make me hurl. Nicky Campbell is a patronising know it all. I really hate the way he talks to people.

19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I used to like Chris Evans when I had to get up and go to work, his bounciness helped to work against my mood when I had him on in the car. Heard him a few times since and to my surprise I find him irritating.

Worst of all is Steve Wright, an utter ****, dim-witted, rubbish taste in music, I listen to radio 2 a lot, he is the only one I turn off without fail. He does a have a redeeming feature in that he takes frequent breaks and the stand-ins are without exception far better.

Close second is Dermot O'Leary. Far too much pretentious stage whispering commenting on himself and tries much too hard to be cool and far younger than he really is which is at the same time embarrassing and not what I want to hear, another one who I turn the radio off for.

MrsKellyWhite likes this.
  20. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Nooooo!!! To your replies...

OK, I'm happy to be a Radio 2 listener.

Stuart Maconie is wonderful. Have you read his books @lindenlea ? He has a similar taste of music and humour I like.I need to listen to him more and am boring as I don't retune. I love his stuff when he has stood in for other people on R2. He's got that great dry humour, as has Simon Mayo. Love his show as I'm driving home. If I miss the confessions my disappointment can turn to rage.

Steve Wright - say what you will. I listened to him when he had the evening Saturday show when I was a teenager. I danced to his music. Went off him for about 20 years and then rediscovered him a few years ago. He is a funny and clever man.

I LOVE Lisa Tarbuck. Witty, dry sense of humour and sharp as a knife. As are the others above.

I used to dislike Chris Evans in his early BBC and Virgin days. He did the Drivetime show before Simon Mayo and redeemed himself IMO. Never liked or listened to his Breakfast show for a few years, but got drawn in recently. If he's boring - he had Kylie on a few days ago - I switch channels.

Ta for reading my essay. The pithy point I should have made is, if you dislike a 'DJ' why the hell do you listen in the first place?!