1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Radio North Sea International - for those of you who remember...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Kandahar, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I cam across some old slides taken by photographer Martin Stevens in 1970 of the Mebo II, inside and out. As some of you may recall, along with Radio Caroline, both stations began a campaign in support of the Conservative Party that year, following the Labour governments attempst at jamming Mebo II's MW signal. Here follow a few of the slides (not seen before as far as I know).
    Mebo IIa.jpg

lexus300 and nomad like this.
  2. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Of course, a Conservative victory in June 1970 made no difference to RNI's broadcast to the UK, as the frequency continued to be jammed.
    Mebo IIc.jpg

3. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

Good old Perfidious Albion / Conservative & Unionist Party.

Again !

4. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Well yes, no one ought to have trusted them either...with their free radio applying to land stations only (and tightly) governed.

lexus300 likes this.
  5. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

DJ Carl Mitchell onboard, decidedly analogue. He died nearly 30 years ago!

This slide is in better condition than the others, which have mould growth.
    on board.jpg

6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

'Radio North Sea International'! That takes me back. We used to listen to it on our 'trannies' on the far side of the school field, where we went to enjoy a postprandial cigarette. Some of the songs sung in Dutch sounded hilarious to our tin, monoglot, 'anglophone' ears. One had a chorus, which sounded like , "Rubber Johnny, dog turd Connie."

Kandahar likes this.
  7. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Radio Nordzee: "Tune in & Turn on"

lexus300 and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  8. WB

WB Lead commenter

That phrase may cause a stir if you say it to a year 11 class in this day and age.

Jolly_Roger15 and nomad like this.
  9. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

It caused a stir amongst adults here when I mentioned it last! (Which goes to show how young some posters must be - or how old the rest of us are).

WB and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  10. Jolly_Roger15

I was in 4A (Year 10, for you youngsters) in 1970, so only a 'wee boy, in short trews'.

Kandahar likes this.
  11. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Being half Dutch (my father), I can vouch for what a strange language it is! My mother mastered it during the war and I picked up a bit when visiting Holland as a child. I can understand a bit of it now and used to listen to MiAmigo Radio (the Dutch version of Caroline) to keep my hand in. Someone once described Dutch as sounding like the speakers were gargling with soup - pretty accurate. However, most Dutch people speak fluent English, making learning it almost redundant. As an aside to this, when I was 17 I had my personal 'Top 20' played on Radio Caroline, but only caught the end of it and couldn't find a spare tape to record my fleeting fame!

12. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Swedish is little better in that respect.

lexus300, Dodros and BertieBassett2 like this.
  13. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

A knowledge of German helps when trying to decypher written Dutch. I love the Dutch word for "moped", "bromfiets". "Fiets" is Dutch for "bike", while the "brom" prefix is meant to convey the humming sound a moped makes.

lexus300, BertieBassett2 and Kandahar like this.
  14. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Sounds like pommes frittes to me.

15. Jolly_Roger15

@BertieBassett2: I have no story as exalted to yours but I always listened to the Top Twenty, early on Sunday evening. The transistor I had at the time was only MW and LW, which meant I always missed about ten minutes in the middle, due to the shipping forecast, so I seldom got to hear from number twelve to number eight.

This happened again in the early Eighties, when R4 started broadcasting computer programmes after closedown, on Saturday evenings. At this time, memory took the form of a C90 cassette. Trying to get a programme to work on a ZX81, or a Spectrum, which had the shipping forecast in the middle was problematical.

BertieBassett2 and nomad like this.
  16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I remember the theme tune well!

lexus300 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  17. Jolly_Roger15

@nomad : Thank you posting RNI's signature tune. I have not heard it for nearly fifty years!

nomad and BertieBassett2 like this.
  18. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Ah yes that theme tune! Also the one for Caroline - I’ve now got it in my head.

Jolly_Roger15 and nomad like this.
  19. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

While my sister tuned in to radio Luxembourg for pop, I used my DIY Roberts radio to scan SW stations - including police and Ham hobbyists, my brother-in-law chatted to lorry drivers on CB and my parents had a classic bakelite valve MW radio playing 'Sing Something Simple' or 'The Archers'. We also had B/W Redifusion Tv channels (405 lines) with radio options: The Navy Lark, Clitheroe Kid and The Goons.
    All with lashings of ginger beer (tee total house).

nomad likes this.
  20. Jolly_Roger15

In my early teens, I had the old, valve wireless set, displaced from the living, in my bedroom. It had a short wave and VHF on it, so I used to sit there in the darkness, twiddling the tuning dial seeing how many radio stations I could pick up. I made a long aerial out of lamp flex from Woolworths, which stretched from my bedroom window to the top of the greenhouse, which annoyed my mother. Because of this, I think, I really got into listening to the radio, perhaps as it was something that I could do independent of my parents. I could clap on my earphones and escape from Radio 2 (as the Light Programme had become) and listen to John Peel. I 'improved' my FM reception by diverting the redundant VHF aerials on the roof.

Like many people of my generation, I had aversion therapy to listening to music on the radio (or the 'wireless', as it was then called) because my parents constantly had the Light Programme playing, as background sound. Once you have heard Doris Day singing 'Oh My Dixie Darling', you are scarred for life. The only time I remember them turning over to the Home Service (R4, as was) was to listen to things like Richard Baker's, 'Old Farts You Have Loved'. I tried the R3 but it was way too high brow for me, and anyway classical music sounded terrible on my AM 'tranny'.

I had fun (I think!) trying to put together my own Hi-Fi amp and pre-amp out of a kit of parts, which I got from an ad in Wireless World. All circuit boards with transistors, capacitors, resistors, etc., then required for such apparatus! Quite a bit of soldering was involved; I expect I could still find the burn scars on my hands, if I looked closely. I did get it to work, eventually, although it did not sound much better than the Fidelity my parents got from Woolworths.

modelmaker and nomad like this.