1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Radio 2 in your early/mid 30s?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lrw22, May 21, 2011.

1. I've been listening to Radio 4 since I was a few months old.
    Radio 2's not for me as I loathe Chris Evans but a couple of colleagues in their 20s listen to it on the car radio.

2. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Listen to whatever you like, however uncool. As long as you like it.

3. Milkandchalk

Oh dear, just read that back and I sound like a pr.ick!
    Not for one moment suggesting that you're uncool or radio 2 is uncool but rather you should be free to listen to what you like, regardless of what the masses may make of it.
    I'm going to put down my spade and step away from the hole now.

4. That reminded me of that baz luhrmann sunscreen song

5. Milkandchalk

I loved that song! I had just started uni and was feeling so homesick and it just sort of gave me a bit of motivation to see things through. Started feeling better after that.

6. That's me! (But hell, I'm 54!)

7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

There are annoying DJs on many channels. Radio 2 is better since Wogan went, but I cannot stand Chris Evans. There is still too much yakkety yak if you just want music in the car, so I tend to have a CD on.

8. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

It's the yakkety yak that I like. Mind you I have to listen to the radio in the car as the cd player in my car is k*******d!

9. Yakkety yak has to be Chris Moyles. Dear lord I think if I was ever stuck in a lift with him one of us would not come out alive! The most turgid, self-important drivel comes out of his mouth and makes me cross cross cross! GRRRRRRR [​IMG]

10. I'm ahem not a spring chicken, and i've been listening to R2 for about 15 years. It's best during the week, and a bit patchy at weekends. I can't stand the shows by Elaine Paige, Paul O'Grady and Graham Norton. But I love the Sounds of the 70s with Johnnie Walker 3-5 on Sunday afternoon, and have even had 2 requests read out!
    I used to love AM Talk Radio before it morphed into Talk Sport. Remember Tommy Boyd?
    Hate R1, and the silly ads spoil local radio.

11. We have bitter rows in this house - I'm the oldie and still a Radio 1 girl, hubby's the young-un and totally Radio 2.
    He's got the alarm clock on Chris Evans - that git at 6.30am is cruel and unusual punishment I swear! He whines endlessly when I listen to Moyles... even complains I leave Radio 1 on in the kitchen for the dog when I go out!

12. Radio 2 on the way to work. Love Chris Evans in the morning.
    Local radio - Pirate FM on the way home.
    Changed to Radio 2 in my late 20s
    Always used to love BRMB and Heart when I lived in the Midlands.

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Mrs MSB switching that gobsh*te Moyles on at 6:30am every morning is far more effective at getting me out of bed than any alarm clock.

Like I really want to listen to him and his hired cronies discussing the previous night's drinking and how long it took them to decide upon which pair of socks to wear. Someone should remind him that the 'D' in 'DJ' stands for 'Disc', as in MUSIC.

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Don't listen to the radio much anymore. When I was younger I was really into R4. Didn't have a tv. Wondeful programmes like Desert Island Discs, Women's Hour and oh yes, The Archers!!!! [​IMG]
    Were Mark and Lard on Radio1? Can't remember. Really liked them. Evans and Moyles are totally sh!te in comparison. Sorry folks.
    Pete Tong on a Friday night used to be fantastic. Loved that show. And before that it was Tommy Vance, with his Rock. As a teenager I thought this was just the coolest thing ever [​IMG]

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

wonderful
    *hopes that DZ isn't about* [​IMG]

16. Fierygirl

Fierygirl New commenter

Love Chris Evans in the morning! Am always up at 5.20 so have Vanessa Feltz to wake up with, then Chris Evans on the way to work. On the way home I listen to Danny Baker on BBC London if I can get out early enough.
    And I lke Graham Norton and Alan Carr on R2 on Saturdays.

17. I turned to Radio 2 in my late 20's. Now early 30's and R4 is my choice to listen to all day long, I especially love The Archers!

18. My mum and stepdad have a radio in their kitchen that's pretty much left on from dawn till dusk - and as each one of the house walks past it gets retuned to their choosing. It spends all day every day going from Radio 4, to 5 Live, to Metro (if brother's home), to Radio 1 (if I'm home), quite how the tuning dial hasn't broken yet I do not know. The DAB one I bought them lasted about a fortnight before they killed it - so they're back onto an old geriatric clock radio. Mine in the kitchen here is perma Radio 1 because it's a pain in the neck to retune and I threatened hubby with nasty things (my full collection of Glee albums on rotate for an entire weekend) if he set it to Radio 2 and I had to fiddle to get it back onto my choice.
    I'll occasionally swap to Radio 4 in the car on a long drive if it's the evening when R1 is pap and I want something to keep my mind occupied though, or podcasts on my iPod.
    Can't stand 6 Music - someone I went to school with (and who wasn't very nice to me at school) DJs on there and I just have flashbacks to being taken the mickey out of aged 14 because I had red Doc Martens and not blue ones etc etc.

19. paul_d_stevens

paul_d_stevens New commenter

I love Radio 2, having sworn blind when I was younger (I'm 46) that I'd never switch from Radio 1.

Steve Wright's show is exactly the same as the one he used to present in the 80s on Radio 1 so I'm very bored of that. But when Wogan went and Chris Evans took over I made the switch at breakfast.

For me, radio is getting more like telly. I tune in to different stations for different shows. I mean, you don't watch the same TV channel all day, every day, do you?

After Chris I head for a local station where I stay for the rest of the day. They do a "guess the year" thing in the morning, the afternoon guy's fantastic and drive is brilliant - although sometimes if I'm not actually driving I'll go back to Radio 2 for Simon Mayo, who I remember from Radio 1 breakfast.

At the weekend though, it's Absolute 80s on DAB.

Age isn't really relevant in my view. If you like what they play and you like what they say, listen to what you like!

Plus, there's nothing worse than trying to be "down with the kids" when you're a teacher, is there?