1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Radio 2 discussion, not getting breaks

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lucilla90, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

Jeremy Vine is just about to run a discussion on R2 on professions where people don’t get breaks and get ill as a result. He is talking to a medical professional who had a kidney infection due to not getting enough time to go to the toilet.

I guess many teachers end up in the same position. I’ve certainly had experience of complications due to not having been able to drink or visit the toilet for hours.

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My husband works 12 hour shifts (NHS ). They added half an hour to this to ensure he had a lunch break but he usually eats it in the office while working so it ends up as a 12 and a half hour shift. I think he can get to the loo when he needs to though.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I have a bottle of water with me at all times in my classroom and make sure I have a toilet break after every second lesson.

I have also stopped doing lunch duties to make sure I get a break in the middle of the day.

TCSC47 likes this.
  4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

When I invigilate a three hour exam I always think carefully about the food and drink I consume beforehand. I'm sure I can go longer than that when busy or travelling but when you've nothing else to do or think about the need for a wee plays on your mind.

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I go when I need to. I had too many problems as a child and will not be prevented now.

slingshotsally and TCSC47 like this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I don't need a constant supply of water but I take my breaks for tea.

TCSC47 likes this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You don't (unless you're as old as I am) have to empty your bladder for an extended spell overnight.

But I get the point. It's pretty inhuman not to even have time for a pit-stop.

slingshotsally likes this.
  8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

When our daughter was working as a chef (in a top flight restaurant), she frequently had time neither for food nor toilet breaks. And she worked more than 14 hours most days. (Not surprisingly we're pleased she doesn't work in a kitchen any more).

9. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

A very close relative of mine is a Doctor in 2nd year of practice. She works twelve hour shifts and gets 30 minutes lunch break. This is inhuman and legislation needs to be used to bring about change. Apart from anything else it is not good for patient safety.

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

If people are prepared 'to go the extra yard' and 'remember you're a professional' they lose breaks and endanger lives.

11. Caoimhseach

Caoimhseach Lead commenter

That's 10 minutes longer than EU regulations require.

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I do not understand teachers who claim that they did not have time to go to the loo all day. I'm afraid that an older female's bladder mean that not going to the loo when I need it is not really an option.

koopatroopa likes this.
  13. Lucilla90

I see your point, too, but when asleep, you are unlikely to be drinking, nor burning as much energy as in the workplace.

I was seriously ill, when in a small setting all the non-teaching staff were ill at the same time and no cover was put in place. It was during a hot summer and not drinking nor using the toilet made me very ill.

I take water now I am on supply, because of the variable provisions and staff facilities...that’s another thread entirely!

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

ADH might increase at night to reduce the need to urinate.

15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I was only trying (and failing) to act as the devil's advocate.

Of course you should be able to pop to the lavatory as and when.

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Is your sleep disturbed?

17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You were taking the proverbial!

;)

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

But deny a kid the chance to go to the loo and you are infringing their human rights! Perhaps teacher should ask for one of those toilet passes that the kids get!

19. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Don't teachers get breaks in which they can go to the toilet? The children need time to go also.

20. Lucilla90

They do, usually, but in smaller settings it doesn’t always happen...also, those very rare days when a bit disorganised and battling for the photocopier at break or something, then the time just disappears.