1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Radians

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by stevencarrwork, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Have you noticed that when you turn by a quarter of a circle, you turn by half a pi?

Or the one that gets my students the most, a 3-quarter turn is 3pi/2

This is because we have all been using the wrong value of pi, which is actually about 710/113

http://www.math.utah.edu/~palais/pi.pdf explains further how we manage to miscalculate the value of pi

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

3. These is no suggestion that anyone miscalculated anything.

This is a rather old idea.

If you want to give 2pi another name you are free to do so. I'm going to go on calling it 2pi.

4. A change to the definition of Pi - circunference/diameter - would sadly wreck one of the most remarkable results in mathematics: int(x^4 times (1-x)^4 / (1+x^2), x=0..1) = 22/7 - Pi.
    No change please.

5. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

This cropped up lots in the press last June.(*)

Here are some links for those who missed it:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13906169

tauday.com

thepimanifesto.com

[* Why June? Well, in the bizarre US date-order-system the 28th June is 6/28, and apparently this is then appropriately rendered as 6.28 (rather than as a fraction). It's no more bizarre than insisting that 14th March is "Pi Day", I suppose. Still - it is nice to see that Wikipedia has 22nd July as "Pi Approximation Day" - because this at least puts the numbers in a good order and treats them as a fraction. 3.14 is, of course, an exact version of pi .... ]

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Er...

7. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

I can't work out how to get smileys when using Chrome (getting the hyperlinks linked is fairly heroic!). I sort of relied on the "dotdotdot" to indicate sarcasm. Sorry if that caused confusion!

8. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

[​IMG]

9. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

definitely one from the green ink brigade, like the guy at Durham (or was it Reading) who "discovered" the value of 1/0 and reinvented the number system