1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Racist recruitment practised by Cheshire Police

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I do not care about the colour or the sexual preference of individual police officer but I do care that their forces might not be recruiting those men & women best suited for the job:

Police discriminated against white heterosexual male, tribunal finds

'Matthew Furlong applied to join Cheshire Police in 2017 and was told at the interview “it was refreshing to meet someone as well prepared as yourself” and that he “could not have done any more”.

[...]

An employment tribunal found Cheshire Police had discriminated against the 25-year-old on the grounds of sexual orientation, race and sex. It ruled that the constabulary used positive action – where employers take steps to boost the diversity of their workforce – in a discriminatory way.

[...]

“Had he not been such an exceptional candidate he may not even have suspected anything was wrong and this unlawful and unacceptable selection process may have been allowed to continue.

“Positive action is an important tool to support a diverse workforce that reflects the community in which we live.

“However it must be applied lawfully to ensure the highest calibre of candidates are recruited regardless of race, gender or sexual orientation and to ensure standards in police forces are maintained to properly protect our society.”

The tribunal in Liverpool heard four days of evidence before reaching its conclusion. It ruled that while positive action can be used to ensure greater diversity, it should only be applied to distinguish between candidates who were all equally well qualified for a role.

The force’s claim it had seen 127 candidates who were equally suitable for the role of police constable was judged a “fallacy”.
    '
    Independent.co.uk, 23rd February 2019.

We have also seen the Armed Forces succumb to these idiotic ideas so I am inclined to wonder just when & how the top offices at our great institutions become sinecures for virtue-signalling donkeys.

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

And it must have wasted loads of money meant for "policing".

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

The sexual preference of a Police Officer are not relevant since these are not obvious whilst the officer is performing his/her duty. I can understand why the Police wish to recruit more from ethnic minorities since this might help when policing those communities.

But the most important point is that the best person is recruited for the job regardless of other factors.

I have to agree with @Vince_Ulam here, but rest assured that wont happen again. :D

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Have some ambition, man.

5. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

The police force is a disgrace. How quickly they forget they police with our consent. They are obsessed with identity politics. I don’t want rainbow coloured police cars and I don’t want recruitment to be aimed at people based on the colour of their skin.

6. enigma23

enigma23 New commenter

Things like this absolutely get my goat about society. Employment should not, in my opinion, represent the whole of society, groups and orientations. It should simply be made up of the best to do the job.

We should stop pandering to different groups to ensure an equal split or representation. It shouldn’t matter at all whether you are black, white, Cuban or Asian, gay, bi, trans, anything at all.

This means that it shouldn’t matter if the 6 bobbies at my local police station are all black people or all white people or all homosexuals - they were the best for the job.

Grrrr!

nomad, sparklepig2002 and les25paul like this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

Its those tick boxes again - and an assumption that no one will challenge and win. So will they be looking into other recent interview outcomes too I wonder? :rolleyes:

nomad likes this.
  8. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Hoi, do you HAVE a local police station? Pretty much all of them have shut near me. I'd be happy to have any PC working in them!

Oscillatingass likes this.
  9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Imagine if we told premiership soccer clubs that they could only have 6% of their squad from ethnic minorities.

lanokia and Oscillatingass like this.
  10. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Here I am not being surprised that the police also lied to the tribunal.

lanokia, Oscillatingass and nomad like this.