1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Racist books read within the Curriculum

Discussion in 'Education news' started by lorraine7, Oct 31, 2019.

1. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

I think a reread of To Kill a Mockingbird is in order.

Mrsmumbles, Jamvic and install like this.
  2. install

install Star commenter

A great read. And a great education in how to stand up against racism, prejudice and ignorance.

3. Kandahar

Kandahar Established commenter

Quite agree - though perhaps a little over - read, if you follow me.

4. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Established commenter

How did we get to the state where so many of our young teachers and students have got to the stage where they cannot distinguish between discussing racism/prejudice and actually being racism?

I recal hearing a primary school teacher saying "you must never offend anybody" to a class, for example so it starts early on.

When I was at school in the 80s my mate got in trouble becuase a teacher over-heard him talking about pac-man.

have schools become madrassas for "wokeness", churning out zealots who aspire to victim-hood?

Mrsmumbles and Oscillatingass like this.
  5. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Occasional commenter

Some of them seem to have become exactly that... and from what I read more so in the USA than over here.

Mrsmumbles and alex_teccy like this.
  6. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Is "To kill a mockingbird" racist?

7. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Easy. You...er...get ‘teachers’ to such a nadir when you do not educate them at school or train them at College properly. Ooh, ‘nadir’! That’s racist! Quick, quick, tweet-shame them!

alex_teccy likes this.
  8. Mrsmumbles

I sent Nigel ‘Farrage-Barrage’ a copy!

9. Mrsmumbles

No.

install likes this.
  10. Mrsmumbles

Not any more! Since Govification of the English curriculum, we don’t have time to teach ‘big books’...you could not make it up.

11. Mrsmumbles

No. They are an affront to environmental awareness. Do you offset? Do you like Greta? DO YOU?!;):D

blazer and alex_teccy like this.
  12. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

The word isn't falling out of use because of rap music using it constantly, every other racist word I heard someone say hasn't been used since the 90s and therefore sounds old fashioned and uncool to say.

I'm not sure it's use in the correct historical context is going to be that meaningful compared to it's use in music.

Has anyone actually asked the students by the way?

13. sobester

sobester New commenter

Surely, if staff delivering the curriculum have put in relevant contextual education and have used the opportunity of debating issues arising from the text being studied, then we are empowering our young people to challenge negatives and avoid repeating mistakes. As educators it is important that we hit challenging issues head on and equip learners with the knowledge that allows them to have informed discussions on a range of issues. Censorship limits our ability to open minds!

14. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Children should not be exposed to foul language, obscene pictures, violent videos, sexualized images, religious intolerance, bigotry, incitement to hurt others, people mocking others that are disabled, disfigured, ugly or just different etc.
    For the most part, my parents and the neighbourhood I grew up in ensured I only 'discovered' the things about life I needed shortly before I used them. Girly magazines were kept out of reach on the top shelf, turf accountants had no signs about what went on inside, the adventures of Noddy, Big ears and Golliwogs was innocent reading material ( and still is). Two generations of people who were told by their parents, teachers and our government that white, english christian families have the correct viewpoint about what is right and wrong in the world are now told some of that is suddenly illegal and they have some stark choices to make.
    If a little more thought had gone into controlling access to age appropriate material via the internet and games consoles and a lot more effort laying better foundations for parents to build on, maybe children will understand better why the 'n' word is not only derogatory when used by a white person but also when used by a black person.