1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Racist attack on 8 year-old girl

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

[​IMG]

If anyone has any information that can help the police catch the scum behind this outrage then please call officers at North Manchester police station on 0161 856 3502, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Thugs armed with a knife launch racist attack on an 8-year-old girl and her dad

'Two men armed with a knife launched a racist attack at an eight-year-old girl and her father.

Police are searching for the two thugs, who attacked a 34-year-old man after hurling abuse at his young daughter.

The young girl was so frightened by the men shouting at her, she fell on the floor in fear.

When her dad rushed to protect his daughter, he was punched in the face by the men who then pulled out a knife.

The girl and her dad were then subjected to racist abuse before the men ran off.

The men are wanted on suspicion of racially aggravated assault. One of the men was slim, white and wearing blue jeans and a black jacket with grey sleeves.

The other was slim, mixed-race and wearing a dark coat and dark trousers.

Police Constable Laura Bristow, from GMP’s North Manchester Division, said: ‘This was a terrifying and sickening attack on an eight-year-old girl and her father as they went about their daily business.

‘Luckily the father was not seriously injured. However, the young girl was so distressed and intimidated that she fell to the floor in fear. One of the attackers threatened the victims with a knife and we could easily have been dealing with a very different situation.

‘We are doing everything we can to identify the two men responsible for this callous crime and bring them to justice.’

The attack happened at around 9.550am, at the Lime Square complex of Fairfield road in Openshaw on February 20, though police have just launched an appeal in the hope members of the public will be able to help with their enquiries.
    '

(Metro.co.uk, 26th March 2016.)

Burndenpark likes this.
  2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Racism is appalling enough, but to attack a child is indicative of less-than-human thuggery.

These no-marks probably go on at length about the sort of people "we don't want" in the UK...

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Bumpity up.

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Thank you.

5. EllisCarver

EllisCarver Established commenter

Was she attacked or not?

6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

See, this is one of those times when my blood boils and I want to swear. A lot

And not just at the actions of the racist scum

7. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

What race were the victims? I can't make out much from the article

8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Have you read the article?

It says so several times.

I can post the relevant bits if you like Mick?

9. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

I have read the report four times and cannot identify race. I'm not being flippant: how was this race related?

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Even IF race isn't an issue [I said IF] it'd still read 'Attack on 8 year old girl'... which is still a bad thing.

11. EllisCarver

12. EllisCarver

Abuse and non-physical assault. Attack is sensationalist headlining.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So you can't verbally attack someone?

I never knew...

14. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Yeah, that's the real problem here.

Burndenpark and Scintillant like this.
  15. keyboard2

There is no such thing as "verbal attack". Verbal abuse exists but it's entirely subjective.

16. Scintillant

Tell that to the police constable

17. Scintillant

Why do you need to know the race?

Perhaps everyone is lying, eh?

18. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Doesn't it come under the public order offences? You can't threaten, abuse or intimidate others, either through words or behaviour, in a manner which is designed to cause alarm or distress.

19. keyboard2

The headline tells the reader that this attack was racist. The article does not indicate the girl's race, father's race or neither alleged perpetrators' race. If the journalist or sub-editor explicitly uses "racist", then it's good journalism to clarify the race or races of all involved.
    How does the journalist know this attack was racist? An awful attack, yes. But racist? The article doesn't explain or highlight anything linked to race. It's unfair to expect the reader the reader to acknowledge the incident is racist because the word "racist" has been slapped into the headline.
    Lazy journalism and I worry about the gullibility of some people to believe everything they are told.

20. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Tell that to the eight year old!

Sometimes I wonder about some posters
    Sometimes I don't need to

InkyP, Middlemarch and Scintillant like this.