1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Racing Heart anyone??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by BirdBath, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Hi All
    I'm 14 or so weeks. EDD 5 Dec. Had a faster heart beat since about week 7 but this morning I had a massive racing heart attack. It was like someone suddenly flipped a switch to Full Steam AHead. It was really distressing and lasted for about 10minutes, not least as I was in full swing in a year 9 lesson.
    Saw the midwife who said everything is ok. Obviously I was really worried that it meant the baby wasn't getting enough whatever. I've had a horrible cold this week and she said it was probably because of my being under the weather (and in work).
    Has anyone experienced this? I can't explain how bad it felt. i've never (thank God) had a panic attack but I can only imagine it was like this. Am worried it will happen again and, with Year 12, returning next week my stress levels are only going to rise!!
    Help!

2. I had lots of severe palpitation episodes whilst pregnant - it's quite common I think, especially with all the extra blood running around.
    Once you know it's ok it's not so bad - you just sit for a minute and breathe normally and wait for it to pass. It's less frightening once you know what to expect.
    x

3. Hi, I had this too in early pregnancy. I went to the doctors and he said my heart beat was slightly exaggerated, but everything was fine. He said it was due to circulation changes and to try not drink too much caffeine- which I don't really anyway- as that wouldn't help it. Plus the fact that work was stressful at the time. I'm sure that everything is fine. Your body does strange things when pregnant! Im 23 weeks now and it all settled down very quickly.

4. You can have a condition called an SVT (supra ventricular tachycardia) which can be very common in pregnant woman. Bacically your heart can race for seconds to minutes. This is more than just a palpatation as it is for an extended period and can be difficult to detect. Basically it can slow on its own and thus if you don't show Dr/Midwife etc at time of episode then they can't confirm that it is this. It isn't generally serious but if it continues go back and see the Dr.
    As the above poster said avoid caffine as this can help prevent them.

I'm not a Dr and I'm not saying this is what you have, just a suggestion.

5. I suffered with palpitations through all of my pregnancies - Dr advised putting my face into a bowl of very cold water, preferably iced, would stop it. It worked too!