1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rachel De Souza

Discussion in 'Education news' started by vannie, Mar 16, 2016.

1. vannie

vannie Star commenter

2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Is she? Who says?

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Cleared?

Read the results of the investigation (done by Ofsted legal adviser Julian Gizza (!)): found in her favour on the "balance of probability" after the crucial emails, minutes of meetings and important personnel could not be found - or refused to give evidence. Even then, with the crucial stuff missing, the investigation found "troubling evidence"

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/feb/07/teachers-inquiry-schools-ofsted-superhead

Gizzi admitted his investigation had been hampered by a disconnected server at Ormiston Victory, where De Souza had been executive principal at the time of its 2013 inspection, which made its emails inaccessible. After publication of the review, Ormiston Academies Trust said it had suggested that it would be able to rebuild the older server if necessary, a claim denied by Gizzi.

The review was also disadvantaged by the unexplained disappearance of senior leadership meeting minutes for the month of the school’s inspection. Gizzi further lamented that all the emails on the Inspiration Trust email account of De Souza, where she is now chief executive, dating from March 2013 onwards, had been “irrevocably deleted by accident in September 2014”, hampering his efforts to investigate claims about two of its schools, Thetford Academy and Great Yarmouth Primary Academy.

Gizzi, who said he had found some “troubling” evidence, wrote: “The lack of these documents did hamper my investigation; however, the conclusions I have reached have necessarily been based solely on the information that was available to me.” At least three key witnesses had not been interviewed, the review said. A former PA could not be found; a teacher brought into a school to teach a lesson on the date of an Ofsted inspection had not been available; and a headteacher of Great Yarmouth Primary Academy, Bill Holledge, who had mentioned the correct dates of an Ofsted inspection in an email to De Souza 10 days ahead of formal notification, describing them as “likely”, had refused to give evidence. His wife, Tessa, is headteacher at the Inspiration Trust’s Norwich Primary Academy.

I suspect there's more out there too...

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Ah - thanks.

Noted this from the article, from the Inspiration Trust:
    'A trust spokesman did not deny De Souza might become the next chief inspector of schools, saying only that it was “speculation”. And, he added, the trust could afford a director of education because it ran its schools efficiently.'

So, rather than putting any savings from 'efficiency' into schools via extra teachers /resources / other useful staff, they instead employ a director of education at £100,000 p.a.

6. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Sorry, I thought I'd linked to the article. Thanks vince for linking for me. She's a proper charmer though isn't she? Gove apparently would like to 'clone her 23,000 times'. Says it all really.