1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rabbit in the headlights!!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by PGDE_Student, Sep 22, 2019.

1. PGDE_Student

PGDE_Student New commenter

Hi,

I’m about to start my 4th week of my PGDE course and I’m slightly freaking out!! Is it normal to feel this clueless?? It feels like we’ve had so much information thrown at us - different forms, subject knowledge etc and I’m feeling a bit lost! Really hoping it all starts to make sense soon?!

I start my placement on Tuesday and I’m also panicking about that - I know you’re meant to get into school half an hour before the start of the day but my childrens’ breakfast club doesn’t open until 15 minutes before this would be and there’s no way I’ll make it on time. It will take me about half an hour to get there which would only be 15 minutes before the start of the school day. I have absolutely nobody else who can take the kids for me for the next four weeks - after that I’ll be fine! Will it look totally unprofessional if I bring this up to my placement mentor? I just really want to make a good impression!! Staying late at the end of the day is not a problem at all.

I’m just really starting to panic!!

2. 43Meadows

43Meadows New commenter

Don’t panic, it will all come good. At the moment you are pulled here there and everywhere mentally so do what I’m doing, rock up each day, do what you are meant to do then do any tasks you have been given the same night.
    Regarding getting in early there is no obligation but it’s worth addressing your issue, and offer to stay back if needed. I’m lucky, my placement is great and I get packed off home at 3.30 as my mentor says my time is better spent at home doing uni work and that the time for getting in early and leaving late will come further down the line.
    Sleep well, eat well and take it a day at a time.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Talk to your placement mentor - it will probably be fine, especially at the start of the year when you're not doing as much teaching.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  4. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

Your mentor will understand. It’s a genuine thing and a lot of teachers have this.

It takes years for the headlights to disappear! In fact, I’d describe teaching as a rabbit surrounded on all sides by cars, with lights on full beam! It’s an INSANE job at times.

Teaching is an incredible balancing act. It took me far longer than any other career to get to the point to feel reasonably good. In fact, probably a good four years. I was most recently described as an exceptional teacher by the HT of an outstanding school. But i used to be utter ****! Haha!

Many teacher training courses give you so much information. There are so many fads and gimmicks flying around in teaching. Courses often erroneously focus on these gimmicks first, rather than the basics. Eg: the “importance” of carousel activities, rather than what sound, robust learning is. Try to focus on the essentials. Good luck!

agathamorse likes this.
  5. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Feeling overwhelmed by all the information you're given at the start of a PGCE course is perfectly normal. There's a lot to learn. You'll soon get used to the pace.

Regarding not being able to be at your placement school 1/2 hour early - this is not obligatory. Just let your placement mentor know that your family commitments mean you can't get there that early.

The tricky bit is going to be making time for your own children each evening. There will be a lot of things to do related to the course and your teaching and it will take very good organisational skills to get it all done and still leave time for yourself and your family each day.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I hope you have some help of some sort at home since as bonxie says it is going to be tricky making time for your own children's needs.

If you try to set ups a schedule of some sort, that might help and give your children if they are old enough age appropriate tasks to do. If your children are old enough to understand, perhaps even write up a schedule somewhere in the kitchen where they can check it . Schedule in the times with the activities:

5:00 -6:00 Making and Eating Dinner
    6:00-&:7:30 Bath and Stories and Family Time
    7:30 Children in Bed
    7:30- 8:00 - packing children's things for the next day
    8:00:9:30 - Study/plan
    9:30: Pack own things for next day including cloths/lunch/ etc, shower
    10: Bed

This is only an example of course and a lot depends on who is in the house to help and your children's ages and what time you require them in bed.

If you can make and plan the meals on the weekend for the upcoming week, then that may help. You have to be a master of doing things easier/faster/ teamwork.

Be the master of the list and task prioritisation.

Make a list and label it A, B, C.

As must be done and have deadlines
    Bs are important and are done next
    Cs are things that it won't matter if they are not done - nice to do things but not going to affect anything if you don't to them

agathamorse, Stiltskin and bonxie like this.
  7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

That should be clothes! You might need cloths, however, to wipe up spills.

agathamorse likes this.