1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

R.I.P. Maurice Sendak

Discussion in 'Personal' started by joli2, May 8, 2012.

1. joli2

joli2 New commenter

2. My favourite is Outside Over There. R.I.P [​IMG]

3. A great talent. R.I.P.

4. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I hope that he finds that his supper is still hot when he gets to whatever is on the other side.
    I loved "In The Night Kitchen" when I was little: I was most annoyed that my mum would never let me have 'morning cake', no matter how much I told her that it was made with milk!
    Cambridge Uni use the book as the focus of a DT session for their Primary PGCE course - the students have to make a theatre or wall hanging with puppets for the book :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pvP-Z8MeK8 (an example, but not mine!). It's lovely that it inspires children to this day.

5. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I worked at Glyndebourne in the costume department, for a couple of seasons as one of my first jobs after leaving art college. We used to hear the rehearsals over the tannoy while we sewed. It weas lovely. We often got tickets for the full dress reharsals as well.
    On WTWTA, one of the things I did was to make the legs part of the costume of the big bird creature. The pattern cutter gave me the pieces of pattern pinned onto the long furry fabric and said 'whatever you do don't use scissors to cut them out - use a stanley knife' . This was so the long fur wouldn't be cut off and would cover the seam. By the time I'd daydreamed my way back to the table, I'd forgotten and automatically reached for the scissors.....I spent the next few hours after sewing them together painstakingly teasing out strands of fur from each side to cover the seam. I don't think she noticed, but I was in a sweat!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Could you tell us about him as a person, joli?

7. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Sorry Nutella.
    I was only a lowly costume-maker, so didn't have much contact, but he'd come in and see the progress of the costumes at times and seemed very nice, appreciative and excited to see them taking shape. Certainly not above it all or anything, as some 'famous' people can probably appear.
    I must admit I was more excited about meeting Willard White - all the girls swooned a bit over him.

8. That sounds heavenly, joli.
    I can just imagine you all sitting there while the gorgeous music floated around you... ahhhhhhh. :)

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Thanks for that, joli. Sendak looks so nice in his photos. I did enjoy Willard White as the King in the opera of St Exupery's The Little Prince. It must have been very exciting working at Glyndebourne!