1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

R.I.P. Common Sense

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jamvic, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Some online headlines & ‘news’ stories stand out as particularly bizarre.

Like most people I tend to scroll on past most of them but occasionally I can’t help wondering if common sense is now dead or a dying concept?

Model, 25, goes blind after getting her eyeballs tattooed black

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/real-life/model-25-goes-blind-after-21588696

Cyclist ordered to pay £105,000 for knocking over woman who crossed road looking at phone

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cyclist-knock-over-woman-phone-compensation-court-london-a8969731.html?amp

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Rest in Peace

It is with a heavy heart that I inform...the death of a beloved old friend. Common Sense has recently passed.

Known affectionately to friends as Horse Sense and Sound Thinking, Common Sense selflessly devoted himself to a life of service in homes, schools, hospitals and offices.

An Obituary in the London Times reported the untimely death of Common Sense. He will long be remembered for the valuable lessons he taught us. Among them:

“Don’t touch that. It’s hot.”
    “Come in out of the rain.”
    “Don’t run with scissors.”
    And “Life isn’t always fair.”

SOURCE: https://10minutesofbrilliance.com/2013/03/obituary-common-sense-is-dead/

https://www.ieyenews.com/obituary-common-sense-is-dead/

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, and by two of his children, Responsibility and Reason.

Common Sense is survived by 4 stepbrothers:

• I Know My Rights!
    • I Want It Now!
    • It’s Not My Fault!
    • I’m A Victim!
    • And by a stepsister, What’s in It for Me?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    abwdSTEM, Laphroig, Pageant and 12 others like this.
  3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Man dies launching home made steam-powered rocket to prove the Earth is flat?

lanokia, alex_teccy and Jamvic like this.
  4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Plus, a link from one of those articles: "Model advised to have 59 inch backside amputated following illegal injections", then again it is the Star.

Cyclists always fight back when it is suggested that they should have insurance like motorists, perhaps it's common sense that they should get it?

5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

While I agree that insurance for cyclists is a good idea I do think that not looking down at your phone while crossing the road is an excellent example of basic common sense.

6. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

:eek:

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

8. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I’m sorry this happened to her, I wouldn’t wish accidental blindness on anyone. However, my sympathy at the outcome is tempered by my auto-eye-roll at the foolishness of the choices she made in the name of vanity. The tattooist who used the wrong kind of ink should get jail time imo.

9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Modern vanity knows no boynds, it would seem. This is abherrant behaviour on the part of a total air-head.

Jamvic likes this.
  10. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Vanity should have read pathological attention-seeking.

Laphroig and Jamvic like this.
  11. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Unfortunately I think you have a point there.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Surely you know that staring mindlessly at your phone magically protects you from all hazards.

13. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

:D:D

agathamorse likes this.
  14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Shame he forgot to make sure the parachute was not attached securely.

Jamvic likes this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Is there a right kind of ink that you should inject into your eyeballs?

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

A lot of pedestrians in London have a belief in the magic of phone looking or listening only to earphones,

agathamorse and Jamvic like this.
  17. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I think it’s a National belief now tbh.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

It improves relationships and social occasions too. Or why otherwise to parties in restaurants sit next to each but only look at their screens?

agathamorse and Jamvic like this.
  19. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I would say no and that I can’t think of many things more asinine to consider doing. But, apparently it’s a thing now...

Scleral tattooing
    3D9E6C93-4ACC-4EDE-90AB-F01A25A0A167.jpeg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scleral_tattooing

20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Jamvic and agathamorse like this.