1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

R.E. PGCE

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by patrickmd, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Hello
    I have been accepted onto an R.E. PGCE at a good university in the North of England. Over the last few months I have felt frustrated with the way the government is treating R.E. Firstly with the removal of the bursary I would have received and secondly the absence of R.E. in the Ebac. I am most concerned about the latter as I worry that there may be a lack of R.E. jobs in 2012. Do you think that this will be the case...should I be worrying?
    Thanks,
    Patrick

2. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

Although we're all frustrated with the absence of RE in the EngBacc, you must be reminded that RE hasn't changed otherwise. It is still a compulsory subject at KS3 and KS4, and the uptake in the subject has been dramatically increasing over the years. It's hard work being an RE teacher, but a very rewarding one at the same time. If your passionate enough about the subject as well teaching, then the current political problems shouldn't put you off. You must also remember there are other subjects (e.g. ICT and other humanity subjects excluded from EngBacc) that perhaps need to be more concerned with the current changes.

3. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

there will be RE jobs, There is a well know shortage anyway in the north of England, so dont count out having to move for your 1st post.

And a word to the wise, if your name is Patrick and MD links to your real name, think about creating a new account for keeping your self anonymous

4. If you are determined and committed being an RE teacher you should do it anyway. I think you are looking too far ahead. Yes, there is a shortage of RE jobs but I would advice you to gain experience teaching other Humanities subjects which makes you more versitile. There are RE jobs in the North East, just alot of competition but I guess that is the same anywhere in the country. This should make you more determined to achieve and become the best RE teacher you can. I back up the previous poster that it is a very very hard profession which is very demanding on your time and energy be in but also rewarding.You must be prepared to give your all and be totally committed to it. Being positive is also a must as the endless marking, long hours,hectic pace, hundreds of students passing through your door a week and student resistance towards the subject (depending on the school) is a reality. Good luck. J x

5. Hi! I'm doing a PGCE in RE at Newcastle this September and pretty excited. The loss of a bursary was pretty devastating but it hasn't put me off one bit. Keep checking the TES jobs as well - there are always plenty in the North East.

6. I'm currently in the middle of my PGCE RE in Sheffield and I love it! It has been hard work but it does pay off in the end.

As for jobs - they are a little thin on the ground at the moment compared to previous years (I'm from the North-East so looking there as well as in Yorkshire) but the majority of jobs might not have appeared yet. I know a lot of jobs have come up for Catholic schools in the North East and since I'm not a practising Catholic I haven't been able to apply. BUT don't worry! There will be jobs for you when you start applying.

Really hope you enjoy the course!

7. Thanks for your comment , i hope you find a job , i am sure you will! I dont feel as worried now.

8. Yes i was devasted about the bursary, nevermind I will max out the student loan! I sent you a message to your inbox.

9. thanks for restoring my faith in my degree. 'm doing a joint degree in philosophy (with religion) and psychology. i want to teach RE but it just seems to be getting more difficult. im only in my second year so i wont be applying for itt until 2013 and to say the least im worried about not being able to get a place on a course let alone a job after. i currently have no experience in teaching. ive been trying to get a teaching assistant or supply teaching job to no avail so ive gone back to healthcare for the time being as being a student doesnt pay the bills. im hoping to be able to volunteer in local schools to get my experience in, i just feel like im doing a degree for nothing really, but i guess theres a chance for things to change. so thanks for that

10. Well done on getting on a PG course as there has been a big cut in the number of places from 2010 t0 2011 (40%). Yes RE not being in the EBac is a worry and there are some worrying trends on how schools are dealing with this. If you have not please write to your MP urging them to raise questions about why RE is not on the list of humanities and to sign the early day motion about this (http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2010-11/1375)

The job situation is so unknown for September 2012 when you will be applying. Whilst you are on placement do look to get experience in teaching some other subjects if you can (e.g. History) to widen your experience and look at the idea of teaching across the Humanities. If you ask your tutor about this they should be able to talk to placement schools and at least discuss this.

Keep cheerful there are still jobs out there but you may have to be willing to travel. All the best with your course.

Paul