1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

R.E PGCE Cost

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by charpixie, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Hi I'm hoping to apply for a PGCE in R.E for 2012 entry. I'm just wondering how much it's likely to cost for day to day living for it? I'll have to move out of home to do it and now the bursary has gone I'm worried about how to finance it!
    Also how do you find actually teaching R.E it just looks so rewarding as a subject!
    Thank you

2. jerseyperson

jerseyperson New commenter

Hi there,
    I finished my PGCE in July 2004 so it's been a while...! Of course it just depends where you do the course, and how much it is to rent in the area. You'll also have to factor in your travel costs to get to the schools where you're placed (I car shared when I met the other students who were placed at my schools). Back in my day (!) we didn't have the golden hello or anything, just a grant of £6000 for the year and a loan of up to £3000. Has the grant gone now? I definitely couldn't have afforded to do the course without that money.
    And I LOVE it!! Teaching RE is brilliant. I get to talk about all the cool stuff I love talking about and get paid for it. But you should know these are tricky times for RE teachers, you don't have the certainty of getting a job at the end of the course that I had :(

3. Dear Charpixie, I wish I could write a more cheerful reply but the bald facts are:

(i) The places for RE at universities (PGCE) were cut by 40% from 2010 to 2011 and are likely to be cut again
    (ii) These are uncertain times for the subject - there are a number of schools who are reacting to RE not being in the EBac by cutting the subject partially, or in some cases totally. The place of RE in academies is uncertain in both practicality and in law
    (iii) Yes the bursary has gone so you will be looking at fees of £9,000 (probably) plus living expenses which will depend on where you are hoping to do your PGCE but this will be £6,000-£10,000 I would think.
    (iv) To get on a PGCE course starting in September 2010 you will need a good degree (2:1 or better probably) in a related subject (theology, religious studies, philosophy) plus some school experience.

I know this all sounds daunting but I would hate for you to be misled about the times we are in. Having said this RE is brilliant to teach you can do lots of great stuff that children are really engaged by, it is the only subject where the children can have a real input into what it studied, where their voice and ideas really matter and which deals with issues that are relevant and real in their lives.

All the best in your endeavours - I really would stress talking to the course leader at the place(s) you are thinking of applying to ask them the best way to prepare. If you are not sure who they are please contact me (paul@paulhopkins.org.uk) and I will let you have some contact details. Also do look at getting some school experience - talk to a local secondary school about coming in and helping out for some time to see what it is like.

Paul