1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quotes from Islam

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by amandalou, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Hi Guys,
    We currently do Edexcel unit 2 and have 4 quotes for Christianity. I was wondering if anyone could suggest statements that could be used for unit 8 (Christianity and Islam) which we also do.

These four quotes need to broad enough to summarise Islamic attitudes to different topics.
    Below are the ones for Christianity to give you an idea of what we are looking for;
    Do not kill
    Love thy neighbour
    All made in God's image
    Treat others as you want to be treated

Thanks guys
    Amanda x

2. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Try some Muslim forums for this, too.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I'll ask some of my Arabic students for you. Do you want quotes from the Qur'an or from the Hadith or Sunnah?

4. I don't mind anyone would be great. Thank you very much in advance.

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Paradise lies at the feet of your mother, is one I know.
    Is that the sort of thing you want?

6. I don't think that's exactly what the poster wants, it's not really a rule but a saying. Perhaps the messages in Muhammad's last sermon are more appropriate

7. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

fantastic. Can you give the sura references etc please

8. i am intrigued by how your 4 christian quotes are chosen - 'do not kill' is pretty contentious really - pacifism v just war, for example
    'for God so loved the world' etc would come higher on most practising christians' lists, i think - and 'love god and love your neighbour' rather than just 'love your neighbour' not forgetting the last 2 words 'as yourself' - which point to not putting yourself down in the process
    if you are looking primarily at behaviour towards others, micah 6.8 is very popular today 'do justice, love kindness and walk humbly with your God'

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Is this any good?

http://www.twf.org/Sayings.html

10. "If anyone killed a person not in retaliation of murder, or (and) to spread mischief in the land - it would be as if he killed all mankind, and if anyone saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of all mankind." Qur'an 5:32
    "None of you is a true believer until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself." Hadith - Narrated by Al-Bukhari and Muslim
    "All of you are made in the image of God." Hadith - The words in Al Bukhari and Muslim are "All created Adam in His image." - it could mean what I previously typed however these are the actual words of the Hadith.
    "Do good to those who treat you badly." Hadith
    "Have mercy on those on earth (humans and animals), the being above (Allah) will have mercy on you." Hadith
    "Don't [even] say "oof" to them (parents)." Qur'an 17:23
    "The world is lush and green, and Allah has made you stewards on it." Hadith
    When I get a chance I'll post the other references.

11. Thanks guys these are great and will help lots.

12. Sorry was supposed to write "Allah created Adam in His image." not All!