1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Quote about behaviour getting worse

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Rubey, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Rubey

Rubey New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to remember a quote that was shown to me on my PGCE many moons ago. It was saying that children are getting more and more disrespectful, but the twist was that it was from one of the Ancient greats (Plato I think...). I'd like to use it for an inset I'm doing.

I know it's very vague, but does anyone have a clue what I might be searching for?

Cheers,

Ruben

2. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

There is this one online attributed to Socrates:

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
    households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

However, there seems to be some debate about the truth of its origins so I will keep looking for you.

Rubey likes this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think St Augustin said something similar but don't quote me either - ha !

Rubey likes this.