1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

quotations for my fathers funeral order of service

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gudrun, Mar 13, 2011.

1. gudrun

gudrun New commenter

my darling dad died 3 days ago....we had been by his bedside for a week..slept at the hospital....it was so difficult but i really believe he is at peace now. The funeral is arranged for next week..he was a religious man with deep faith and i like the fact that the vicar knows him..my dad was 82 and did voluntary work for the CAB 3 days a week and he worked in the samaritans shops on saturdays and made tea at the cottage hospital on sundays....he learnt sign language a few years ago so he could help at the deaf club.....he did not leave us material possesions [apart from all his cross stitches and tapestry] but he left us with wonderful memories of a decent good man....i want to do the order of sevice sheets...found a lovely photo...but i want to put the odd quote in it....i have found three but if anyone knows any apt ones i would be grateful..i am not finishing it until wednesday....the ones i have are

“It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. “ Samuel Johnson
    When you are sorrowful look into your heart
    and you shall see that you are weeping
    for that which has been your delight
    ~ Kahlil Gibran<font size="3">&ldquo;So you have pain now; but I will see you again,
    and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take
    your joy from you.&rdquo;
    John 16.2</font>Thank you....please if you havn't anything nice to say ..don't say it xxx

2. gudrun

gudrun New commenter

my darling dad died 3 days ago....we had been by his bedside for a week..slept at the hospital....it was so difficult but i really believe he is at peace now. The funeral is arranged for next week..he was a religious man with deep faith and i like the fact that the vicar knows him..my dad was 82 and did voluntary work for the CAB 3 days a week and he worked in the samaritans shops on saturdays and made tea at the cottage hospital on sundays....he learnt sign language a few years ago so he could help at the deaf club.....he did not leave us material possesions [apart from all his cross stitches and tapestry] but he left us with wonderful memories of a decent good man....i want to do the order of sevice sheets...found a lovely photo...but i want to put the odd quote in it....i have found three but if anyone knows any apt ones i would be grateful..i am not finishing it until wednesday....the ones i have are

&ldquo;It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. &ldquo; Samuel Johnson
    When you are sorrowful look into your heart
    and you shall see that you are weeping
    for that which has been your delight
    ~ Kahlil Gibran<font size="3">&ldquo;So you have pain now; but I will see you again,
    and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take
    your joy from you.&rdquo;
    John 16.2</font>Thank you....please if you havn't anything nice to say ..don't say it xxx

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Gudrun, I'm very sorry for your loss. Your Dad sounded like a wonderful man and those quotations sound just right to me. I haven't any better to offer, I'm afraid.

4. My most sincere condolences, Gudrun.

5. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

We should all look for no more than that.
    My symapthies with you and your family gudrun.
    This is one of my favouriote quotes
    To live in hearts we leave behind

Is not to die.

Thomas Campbell

6. Many condolences to you, gudrun.
    When I was looking for things to say about my Mum, I stumbled across this...I didn't use it for the eulogy, but I wrote it on a card and left it with the flowers.
    "We all are born as originals, most of us die as copies." (it seems to be an anonymous quote).
    I added the words "You were unique".

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Say not in grief he is no more - but live in thankfulness that he was
    Hebrew Proverb

8. One
    life - a little gleam of time between two eternities.

Thomas Carlyle
    Sorry for your loss.

9. Please accept my sympathy, Gudrun.
    Your quotations and all these others are lovely and all celebrate the life he led.

10. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss - my father has terminal cancer and I know I have this moment to come sooner rather than later. My father too is deeply religious and I know that this will be reflected throughout his funeral. I chose the above quote as I feel it is pertinent to everyone regardless of their religious beliefs (some may be present at your father's funeral who are not Christians) and these words would be moving for all. I shall do my best to rememebr them.
    Thinking of you at this impossibly difficult and emotional time x

11. This is the poem we had read out at Mum's funeral. A lovely TES poster named Patrick (if I remember correctly, I would need to check the thread) gave it to me.
    Now that I am gone,
    remember me with smiles and laughter.
    And if you need to cry,
    cry with your brother or sister
    who walks in grief beside you.
    And when you need me,
    put your arms around anyone
    and give to them what you need to give to me.
    There are so many who need so much.
    I want to leave you something --
    something much better than words or sounds.
    Look for me in the people I've known
    or helped in some special way.
    Let me live in your heart
    as well as in your mind.
    You can love me most
    by letting your love reach out to our loved ones,
    by embracing them and living in their love.
    Love does not die, people do.
    So, when all that's left of me is love,
    give me away as best you can.

12. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

he sounds like he led a worthwhile life, which is all that anyone can do.

13. This is the poem I read in Dad's service.
    God looked around His garden
    And He found an empty place.
    He then looked down upon this earth
    And saw your tired face.
    He put His arms around you
    And lifted you to rest.
    God&rsquo;s garden must be beautiful;
    He always takes the best.
    He knew that you were suffering.
    He knew you were in pain.
    He knew that you would never
    Get well on earth again.
    He saw the road was getting rough,
    And the hills were hard to climb.
    So He closed your weary eyelids,
    And whispered &ldquo;Peace be thine&rdquo;.
    It broke our heart to lose you,
    But you did not go alone.
    For part of us went with you
    The day God called you home
    So sorry for your loss x

14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My sympathies to you and your family Gudrun. There are some lovely ideas on this thread to make the order of service special and personal to your Dad.

15. 'Love is not changed by death
    And nothing is lost and
    all in the end is Harvest.'

from 'Eurydice' by Edith Sitwell

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Sorry for your loss, gudrun, and maybe it is appropriate for you to think 'may flights of angels sing thee to thy rest'. It is so very heart rending to lose someone we love the very bones of that it is hard to think foremost of how much they have given us during their life. Kind thoughts, G.

17. I was going to offer that one, when my dad died it was quoted in a card from a dear friend, I offer it to others who have lost a loved one.
    This was another that I remember well:
    '....Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing.
    And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb.
    And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance....'
    My thoughts and prayers are with you; think and speak of him often, no one can take away your memories.

18. So sorry for your loss and my thoughts are with you at this time.
    As far as quotations go I think it probably needs to be quite short to fit. I love the first one as it really expresses what a wonderful caring man your dad obviously was. But as he has strong faith the third of your choices is something I think he would like and it is of comfort to any other believers.

19. Sincere condolences.
    The three you have chosen are probably best as you chose them with your dad in mind.
    Lots of beautiful, emotional quotes posted.
    I've taken great pleasure from them.

20. just to add my sympathy and to wish you peace and comfort at this very sad time.
    x<u></u>