1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Why do we have to do music?"

Discussion in 'Music' started by princess_moose, Jun 22, 2011.

1. I'm getting this a lot at the moment, probably partly down to my own rubbish teaching currently but anyway, how do you respond to this? I've done the different cultures/appreciation of diff style/team work/self confidence blah blah but certain pupils just go "I do that in drama and it's well better..." blah blah.

It's really getting me down, I'm the only music teacher, fairly new to teaching and work in a challenging school. I'm trying to build a department but I'm worried that I am just losing KS3 totally and that it will just die a death. *sigh*

2. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Ask your Grade 10s? Write down all of their answers, and have them on hand to show the KS3s... 'Well, John says he did music because...', etc.

3. "Just shut up and fill in the work sheet"

4. erp77

erp77 New commenter

"Well it's better than doing maths/science/history/PE/geography*"

* delete as appropriate

5. One of my yr11 tutees came back from a uni open evening and asked me if he could learn to play an instrument. I asked why, at this late stage' and he said that the prof from oxford uni told him that if you want your application to be looked at by any of the top uni's, you need to be learning an instrument. Learning musical skills caries A LOT of status beyond school. Kids really underestimate this.