1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"The Lovely Bones"

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SarahMaths, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Is anybody else watching this on Channel 4?

Started off watching it with my 12 year-old daughter but I'm so glad that she decided to go to bed! Very 'creepy' film!

I hadn't read anything about it and thought that, from the adverts, it looked like a nice family film...how wrong was I?

Good film but I don't recommend watching it with children under about 15 - I'm watching it from behind a cushion! That said, I'm a such a wimp!

Your thoughts?

2. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I read the book. It was very, very sad indeed. I don't think the film is a patch on the book, but still very good, particularly the depiction of the father's grief.

3. I hated the book.
    Thought it was cynically manipulative, intended to make the reader cry.

4. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I too hated the book.

5. I remember reading The Lovely Bones when it first came out and finding it a compelling but not enjoyable read. I think the film is a great interpretation of the book and I have really enjoyed it though found the murderer more creepy in my imagination rather than on screen.

6. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I thought the film was good haven't seen the book though. I did find it scary, but I am a wuss anyway!

7. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I was aghast that they cast the lovely Stanley Tucci in the role of the murderer. But he does a very good job.
    Wasn't that struck on the book, quite liked the film.

8. What's the book like, in terms of 'gruesomeness'?

I'm thinking about reading it but have been told that it describes rape and murder in quite a detailed manner, so it doesn't really sound like my cup of tea...

9. I read the book when it first came out and enjoyed it, but didn't like the film at all.

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Me too. I found it utterly tasteless.

11. I hated it too. Not very well written either. Couldn't believe it when I ended up tutoring it for a-level!

12. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Seriously? That's an A level book? Gordon Bennett, how standards must have plummeted.

13. Seriously - AQA as Lang/Lit combined. It was so very difficult to tutor because there's nothing to get your teeth into.

Didn't help that both lass and I hated it and would much rather have done Othello!

Haven't read any of Sebold's other books either - LB really put me off.

14. I liked the book, but the film isn't as good. The glamour of Sarandon, Weisz and Wahlberg overwhelms the family roles, but the Irish girl Saoirse Ronan is superb, as is the fluency of Peter Jackson's direction.

15. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I thought the book was really flimsy- terrible prose and nothing much to keep me engaged. I did think that the film was better, but still pretty carp.

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The film was a bit different and held my attention, although I didn't think much of their Windows XP Wallpaper visualisation of Heaven. Somewhat cheesy given the dark and chilling nature of the storyline.

17. I totally agree. The book had been recommended to me by loads of people who were saying how harrowing it was etc. but when I read it I just couldnt feel a whole load for the characters and as you say, the whole book read as if it was screaming at you 'look how sad and horrific this story is'.
    I actually thought the film was much better and stanley tucci was excellent as the murderer - the bit where she goes down into his cellar thing I was shouting at the tv 'dont do it'!!!
    The heaven scenes were a bit carp though.